Shrimp Pulao Recipe Delicious Seafood Pulao made with Basmati Rice,Indian whole spices, Coconut Milk, Shrimp or prawn and coriander and mint leaves.
This has been added to our weekly rotation because it checks all the right boxes.It’s a whole some hearty meal made without fuss with quality amount of protein.
What is Instant Pot Shrimp Pulao?
This is a one pot shrimp and rice dish made with indian spices.
This Spicy, earthy rice dish is perfect for days when you want to impress guests with your culinary skills but don’t want to put in too much effort. Or when you just want to eat something hearty and delicious!
To say this was life changing is short selling this recipe. It’s the best prawn recipe to have happened to me in a long time!! My usual go to prawn recipes are Authentic Mangalorean Prawn Sukka and Kerala Prawn Curry Malabar Chemmeen Curry .but I am so so happy with how this turned out that it’s become a weekly staple at home!
How to make Shrimp Pulao
Both Instant Pot method and the stove top method of making this pulav take similar amount of time.
What do you need to make Shrimp Pulao
The ingredients are pretty simple and the recipe is forgiving.You can substitute the shrimp with prawn if you like.
- Basmati Rice – older the better
- Shrimp or Prawn
- Coconut Milk
- Ginger & Garlic
- Mint and Cilantro leaves
- Powdered Spices- Coriander powder, Turmeric and Chilli Powder(or Curry powder)
- Whole spices- Cinnamon,Star Anise,Cardamom,Bay leaf and Cloves
Instant Pot Method
Step 1: Brown the Onions- Using the SAUTE mode, heat the instant pot.Once hot, add coconut oil.Add the Shallots, onion and green chillies. Sauté till golden brown.(as shown in the picture)
If you can’t find shallots, use normal onions.Make sure to brown them well.This will be crucial for the flavour.
This Step takes about 15-18 minutes depending on how thinly sliced your onion is.
Step 2: Making the Masala– Add the tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.Tip in the spices and roast for about 30 seconds.This helps in releasing the flavours of the whole and ground spices.
Deglaze with water.Add Coconut milk.
Step 3:Pressure Cooking -Add the rice, coriander and mint leaves, Shrimp.Give it a mix.
Cancel the Sauté function.Choose “Pressure Cook” function and set the timer for 6 minutes with the valve at “Sealing” position.Quick Release the pressure.
Fluff the rice with a fork,Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot!
How to serve Shrimp Pulao
Frankly, I like it just the way it is but if you are throwing a feast or a proper dinner then I suggest you pair it with a quick Raita made with cucumber or onions.
Alternatives and Tips to make best Prawn Pulao
Rice- Use aged basmati rice for the best result.
Seafood– If in India, use prawn instead of shrimp.It is almost the same tastewise but differs slightly anatomically.
Spices– If you can’t find whole spices, you can skip them.Add garam masala instead.
Here are some more Indian Shrimp Recipes
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Shallots- halved
- 1/2 Cup Onion chopped 1/2 large onion
- 1 green chilli optional
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Ginger- grated
- 2 medium Tomatoes- chopped
- 1 Cup Shrimp medium Sized, Cleaned
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Cup Coriander and Mint Leaves
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Milk
- Salt to Taste
- Heat the Coconut Oil in a heavy bottomed pan.Add the Shallots, onion and green chillies. Sauté till golden brown.
- To this, add the ginger, garlic and tomatoes.Cook till the tomatoes become mushy and disintegrate.
- Tip in the prawn along with coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric. Sauté lightly for about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice, coriander and mint leaves, cardamom, cloves, bayleaf, lime juice along with the coconut milk.Add 1/2 Cup of water.
- Season with Salt and bring to boil.
- Cover with the lid and let it cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot!
Instant Pot Method
- Switch on the SAUTE mode.Once hot, add coconut oil.Add the Shallots, onion and green chillies. Sauté till golden brown.
- Add the Ginger and Garlic along with the chopped tomatoes.Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the spices next – coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric & Whole Spices- cardamom, cloves, bayleaf & Star Anise. Sauté lightly for about 10-20 Seconds.
- Deglaze with 1/2 Cup water and 3/4 Cup of Coconut milk.Cancel Saute
- Add the rice, coriander and mint leaves, and Prawns along with the coconut milk.Season with Salt.Mix everything toghether.Gently press the rice down ,so it is under the liquid.
- Choose "Pressure Cook" function and set the timer for 6 minutes with the valve at "Sealing" position.Quick Release the pressure.
- Fluff the rice with a fork,Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot!