Prawn Curry with Raw Mango – Indian Shrimp Curry also called Chemmin Mango Curry made with Prawns or Shrimp , coconut milk and sour raw mangoes.This is a speciality seafood curry from the Malabar region is Gluten Free, Paleo & whole 30 complaint Seafood Curry
My husband described this as divine! A Little ray of sunshine after a busy day!Also prawns or shrimps are a great protein source.I prefer eating prawns over other kind of seafood anytime.It’s probably the texture and also the fact that they are super easy to cook once they are clean.
I usually end up buying fresh prawn from freshtohome here in Bangalore.It’s super convenient and the quality is great!
Dietary Details of Prawn Curry with Raw Mango
Prawn or Shrimp are very high on protein.This curry is
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Paleo and Whole 30 approved
Read more about the exact dietary details in the nutrient details in the recipe box.
Healthier Prawn Curry with Raw Mango
The curry is very healthy on it’s own.You can reduce the calorie density by diluting it with more water.Also add veggies to increase it’s fiber content.
What to eat with Mango Prawn Curry
Traditionally the type of a curry is eaten with rice- Red or Raw rice.If you are looking for a low calorie- high fiber alternative, then you could pair this with millets too.Foxtail millet and kodo is an excellent replacement for rice.You can read more about millets in my post here.
A paleo or Whole 30 meal version will be this curry served with some cauliflower rice.
Is prawn and Shrimp the same thing?
Though they are different, for the purposes of cooking prawn and shrimp are the same.In india, Australia and Uk, we usually call this type of seafood “Prawn ” while in USA it’s called “Shrimp”.
- Instant Pot Prawn Curry – This dish can be made in the SAUTE mode in instant Pot in the exact way as mentioned below.
- Prawn – Prawn Cooks very fast (just about 3-5 minutes) and turns orange on cooking.Do not cook the prawn beyond this time. Also ,for a better looking dish – Keep the tail of the prawn on.
- Coconut Milk – The best coconut milk is the homemade kinds.It has an amazing flavour and taste.If you don’t have the time to make it at home, buy canned or boxed coconut milk.The last resort should be the dried coconut milk powders.They have the least flavour but they can be stored for longer and are very handy!
- 250 gms Prawns – Medium to Large Size
- 100 ml Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Raw Mango Diced
- 10-15 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Shallots Can be Replaced with onions
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated or julienned
- Salt to Taste
- 2 Dried Red Chillies
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Bring the pot to boil.Add Mangoes and cover.Cook for 10 minutes.
- To this, add the prawns.Cook for 5 minutes without a lid.
- Once Prawns Turn orange, add the coconut milk.Stir and bring to boil.
- In a tempering pan(small frying pan) add oil and heat.
- Once oil is hot, add the mustard seeds.Once they splutter- add Curry leaves & red Chillies.Cook on high for about 30 seconds.
- Add tempering to the Prawn Mango curry