Indian Mint Chutney Recipe- Pudina Chutney or hari chutney is an Indian condiment made with fresh mint and cilantro leaves. Tangy, earthy chutni that goes well with pakoras,chats and sandwiches!
There are a lot of ways of making Indian Mint Chutney or hari chutney.Every house has a different way.This mint chutney is a simpler version of the chutney I grew up eating.
It can be used to make Chutney Cheese Sandwich or eaten along with pulaos, as dips for parties, as a marinade of chicken and most obviously with Samosas and pakoras.Lol.
How to make Indian Mint Chutney Recipe
Step 1: Gather all the ingredients.Cut & Wash the green leaves - mint and coriander under running water till the water runs clean.
Step 2:Blend - Add the coarses bigger elements in the blender first,followed by the leaves.It may seem like a lot but once it blends, it reduces in size.
Step 3:Taste and Adjust.Add more salt,chilli or lime juice based on your requirement.
Tricks for a perfect Indian Mint Chutney Recipe
I have some tricks up my sleeve to make the best green chutney possible!Here it goes.
- Wash wash and wash your leaves several times.Can't stress this enough.Getting even a little bit of mud in the chutney will leave a bad taste in the mouth.
- Use raw mango instead of lime if you can find it.It will not only give body to the chutney but also lend a beautiful flavour.
- Though the recipe says 1 whole green chilli, use your judgement.If your chillies are super hot then use only half or avoid altogether.
- If the chutney is too spicy for your kids, add a dollop of yogurt in it.
How to eat the Indian Green Chutney
With this one condiment there are endless dishes possible. This is one of my favourite marinades to make Chicken Breast.I call is Chutney Chicken.
I also use it as a dressing for quick salads.This Sprouts Chutney Salad is so easy to put toghether once you have the Chutney sorted!
Also, you can make the easy peasy Chutney Cheese Sandwich with this.Frankly, thats my guilty pleasure!I also serve this at parties along side other dips like the Simple healthy but uber delicious Yogurt Dip.
Dietry details of mint chutney
Now for the BONUS!
This Indian Green Chutney Recipe is Vegan,Whole 30, Paleo approved and Gluten Free!
This chutney also freezes very well.I usually freeze them in ½ cup sized boxes which I defrost as and when needed.
- 1 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 1 Cup Mint Leaves
- 1 Lime- juiced or ½ cup raw mango
- 1 Green Chilli
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cm Ginger(half a thumb)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Onion(Medium Sized)- Quartered
- Salt to Taste
- Add onion,Cumin,Ginger,Garlic Cloves & Chilli to the blender.
- Top with the Leaves- Coriander and Mint.Add Lime juice.
- Blend till it's a smooth puree.Add water 1 teaspoon at a time is its too thick.
- Add Salt,Churn again and store in an air tight container in refrigerator for upto 7 days.