Instant Pot Toor Dal- Simple Indian lentil recipe using split pigeon peas pressure cooked in Instant Pot.
This toor dal and is one of the first recipes I made in my instant pot.It’s easy, it’s nutritious and its very close to my heart.We make this almost every week, twice.So this recipe has been tested a zillion times!(well, almost!)
Why Make Toor Dal in Instant Pot?
Because beacuse beacuse!
It’s super easy to make, no baby sitting required and no noise at all!
I mean who wants to deal with all that yellow splatter, that ear piercing shout(and your baby getting up) and the wait?And the run to the kitchen when you that final whistle comes through?!
If you are still unconvinced, read about why instant pot is amazing for indian food.
How to make Toor Dal in Instant Pot
What is Toor Dal?
- Wash the dal first.
- In the SAUTE mode, heat the oil.Add the aromatics and sauté.
- Make the masala with onions and tomatoes
- Tip in the washed dal along with water, turmeric and salt.
- Pressure cook for 8 minutes and let the pressure release naturally.
Instant Pot Settings
For this recipe, I have experimented with various times and proportions with different releases – NPR(Natural Pressure Release) & QR(Quick Release).
For me 1:3- Dal to Water ratio, without soaking for 8 minutes on High pressure with NPR has worked the best.
The time you set on your instant pot will largely depend on 2 things
- If you have soaked the dal – Reduce the cooking time by 1 minute for this.
- The texture of the dal you are looking for- The time given in the recipe will yield a dal that will still hold a little shape.If you like your dal completely mashed increase the time by 1 minute.
if this is your first time cooking with instant pot,I suggest you follow my instructions entirely.
Variations of Instant Pot Toor Dal
There are as many variations to dal as homecooks.
To start with, you don’t have to do the whole process on instant pot.I find is equally efficient to divide the work between stove top and instant pot- Make the Masala on stove top, while pressure cooking the dal in IP.I, then just mix the Masala in the IP once the pressure is released.
Here are a couple that you may find interesting
- Dal Palak
- Dal Methi
- Toor dal without onion or garlic
- Kale Dal
- Moringa Dal
How to eat Toor Dal
This dal is best served with Rice or Rotis.Usually its poured over fluffy white rice or along side rotis and a vegetable curry or a fry. You can also eat it as it is like a soup.
If you prefer you dal with plain rice, here is a post on how to make perfect everyday sona masoori rice in instant pot.
Here are some Instant Pot Dal recipes for you
- 1 Cup Toor Dal Split Pigeon Peas
- 3 Cup Water add 1/2 cup more, if you like your dal thinner
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp Ghee or oil
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- 1 tsp Cumin Jeera
- 1/2 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Cup Tomato Chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic smashed
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder optional
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Coriander Leaves as garnish
- 1/2 Lime Juiced
Instant Pot Method
- Wash the dal and set aside.
- On your Instant Pot – Choose SAUTE mode.Once the pot is hot, add the ghee to the inner pot.
- Add Cumin,asafetida,green chilli,ginger and garlic.Saute and let it infuse for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and mix it all up.Let this cook for 10 minutes till the onions are brown.
- Add the coriander powder and red chilli powder.Give it a mix.
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes with the juices and all.Cook till mushy.About 5 minutes.
- Add the washed dal,3 cups of water and turmeric and salt.Cancel the SAUTE function.
- Choose PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL, set the timer for 8 minutes,Set the Steam release handle to SEALED.
- NPR- Natural Pressure Release-Let the pressure release on it's own.Open the lid,give it a mix.
- Squeeze half a lime,Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot