Langarwali Dal – Homestyle Dal recipe with split urad and channa dal using pressure cooker or Instant Pot.Absolutely delicious vegetarian lentil recipe.
This dal is very different from the famous Dal Makhni.It’s a lighter, more everyday dal made with 3:1 ratio of split urad and Channa Dal.Unlike the dal makhani, langarwali dal is very rustic and simplistic.
Though this dal has it’s own divine fan following.It’s famously served at the langar at the golden temple in Amritsar along with fresh roties.
How to make Langarwali Dal
Step 1: Wash and Soak the Urad and Channa Dal.
Step 2: Pressure Cook it for 20 minutes in a traditional pressure cooker or an Instant Pot.
Step 3: Prepare the Tempering with Ghee and Aromatics and top the cooked dal with it.
How you make the tempering depends on how much time you have and how rich you want the dal to be.
How to make One Pot Langarwali Dal
To make this dal in just one pot one shot follow the below instructions.
Step 1- Wash and Soak the Dal.
Step 2- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker(or instant pot).Add Cumin,ginger, garlic, chillies,Coriander powder, asafetida. To this add onions and cook till brown.
Step 3- Add tomatoes and cook till pulpy.
Step 4- Add the soaked dal with 4 cups of water, turmeric & salt.
Step 5- Pressure cook on high flame for 25 minutes(or pressure cook in instant pot for 25 minutes.)
In a timeless world, I would make a separate masala with onions and tomato, cook the dal with it for a few minutes and then do a second ghee, jeera & chilli tempering just before serving.
You can obviously skip the two types of tempering if you want and add all the ingredients in one pot and be done with it.
Here are some Amazing Instant Pot Dal recipes that you should try!
Also, here is another famous punjabi recipe.No points for guessing- the Famous instant pot Butter Chicken .
- Soak* the Urad Dal and Channa Dal for 30 minutes.
Instant Pot Method
- Add the soaked dal,2.5 Cups of water,Salt,turmeric in the inner pot of the instant pot.Choose the PRESSURE COOK setting.Close the lid and set the timer for 20 minutes on high pressure.Let the pressure release naturally before you open the pot.
Pressure cooker Method
- Add the soaked dal,3 Cups of water, Salt, turmeric in the pressure cooker.Close the lid and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.Let the pressure release naturally before you open the pot.
- In a pan, add oil.Once hot, add onions, Green Chilli, ginger and garlic and cook till they turn golden.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till mushy.Add the pressure cooked Dal to this masala.Bring to boil once.
- In another pan, add ghee.Bring to smoking point. Working quickly, add cumin, whole red chilli, asafetida & red chilli powder.Pour over hot dal.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve along with rice or roties.
FAQs for Instant Pot Langarwali Dal
Can Langarwali Dal be made without onions and Garlic?
Yes,Absolutely.Just skip the onions and garlic and proceed with the rest of the recipe
Can this dal recipe be made Vegan/Dairy Free/Lactose Free?
Yes,skip the ghee and use oil instead.5