Instant Ragi Dosa recipe which can be made in less than 10 minutes.This Ragi dosa has no rice, no maida or any wheat flour.It can be made instantly.It also has no dairy hence it’s vegan.
And no..it’s not a trick..
What is Ragi Dosa?
It’s a Crepe made with finger millet, also called Nachni in North india and Ragi in South India.
This is an Instant Ragi dosa made with more than 65% Ragi and 35 % Chickpea flour(besan).So it’s super high on protein, iron and calcium.
It’s instant, so there is no waiting,fermenting soaking etc.Which is really helpful on busy mornings.
I have replaced wheat and rice out of my diet completely(well almost!) with this.I have always been a roti or a bread or a dosa person.If given a choice my first pick will always be one of them over any kind of rice or noodles.I have literally grown up eating wheat rotis thrice a day for 18 years.But this yummy recipe makes it easy.
That is why this change is a big big change(for me!) but I don’t really feel like I am missing out on anything.
How to Make Ragi Dosa Instantly
Ingredients for Ragi Dosa
Onions(Optional)- Chopped Finely
Coriander Leaves(Optional)- Chopped Finely
Method to make Ragi Dosa
Mix all the ingredients together. Add Water and make the batter.The consistency should be as that of normal dosa batter.You can make it thicker if you want to make it like uthappam.
Heat a flat pan or dosa pan.Pour a ladle full of batter in the middle and spread it evenly with the ladle.Add oil, cook one side for 5 minutes,flip and then cook the other side for 3 minutes.
This dosa takes longer to cook than a normal dosa, so keep that in mind.
Why Eat Ragi?
Ragi has a low glycemic index which makes it a great alternative to high GI carbs like wheat and rice, especially for people with diabetes.It’s also loaded with calcium and iron.
Read more about millets and how they compare with wheat and rice on my how to introduce Millets in our diets.
Here are some FAQs on Ragi
Is Nachni and Ragi same?
Yes.Ragi and Nachni are both Indian names of the millet called Finger Millet.
Is Ragi good for health?
Yes.It is a very rich source of Calcium and iron.It is a very good replacement for rice and wheat.It is also good for general environment.
What are the uses of Ragi Flour?
You can make Dosas, Add it in parathas, make Ragi Malt, make rotis and also sheera with Ragi flour.
Some more Finger Millet or Ragi Recipes for you
- 4 tbsp Finger millet flour /Ragi Flour
- 2 tbsp Chickpea flour / Besan
- 2 tbsp Small onion- chopped finely
- handfull coriander chopped
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- Mix the Ragi flour,besan,chopped onion, coriander and salt.
- Add water to make a thin batter.Thinner than traditional dosa but thicker than rava dosa
- Heat a skillet.Pour 2 tbsp of the batter.Spread it as best as you can.
- Drizzle oil around it.Cook for around 5 minutes.Flip and cook for another 3 minutes till both sides brown.
- Serve with chutney or like me- eat it with EVERYTHING replacing chappati.
- Make it on a non stick pan
- if the dosa isn’t coming off the pan, its probably not cooked.Ragi dosa takes almost double the time of a traditional dosa.So have patience.
- Make sure it’s well cooked.Browned from both sides.
Read more about millets and how they compare with wheat and rice on my how to introduce Millets in our diets.61