Eggless Healthy Ragi Banana Cake with No flour or refined sugar! This cake has all things GOOD in it- Ragi flour,Oats flour and Jaggery.We love it so much that we make it weekly now!
My son suddenly loves cakes and I couldn’t be happier.Though I love making a decadent cake(and eating!) as a mother my first instinct is always to give him nutrient heavy food- not diet food but high in nutrients and less empty calories.That’s the reason I created this Ragi cake recipe.
It has bananas,Ragi and Oats.
The Sugar I have used is raw sugar- you can use Jaggery or Palm or Coconut Sugar- These are less refined versions of the white sugar and hence contain more nutrients.The first time I made this, Iadded some Chocolate chips and walnuts but I think you can skip on chocolate chips if you want to control the amount of sugar that goes in the cake.
This is a perfectly healthy cake which both adults and children will LOVE!!
Why Eat Ragi/Finger millet?
Okay be ready to get totally BAMBOOZELED!Finger Millet, also called as Ragi down south and Nachani in North india is a wonder Millet!
#Ragi has 30 times more Calcium than rice or wheat!
#It’s has natural Iron that becomes bio available by sprouting the Ragi hence its the IRON that actually gets absorbed by the body!
#It has 3 times more FIBER than rice or Wheat.Also it’s Gluten Free and sustainable!
Read more about millets and how they compare with wheat and rice on my how to introduce Millets in our diets post.
How to make Healthy Ragi Banana Cake
A few pointers on how to totally ACE this Healthy Finger Millet Banana Cake!
- Always and Always Preheat your oven!!
- Always and Always line your pan with butter paper AND oil/butter is generously!
Make sure the Jaggery has no lumps.Use fresh ingredients.Ragi flour gets spoilt very fast so keep that in mind!
Also I have tonnes of Ragi and other Millet recipes on the blog.We love making Double Chocolate chip Ragi cookies that are Eggless(Vegan) and refined sugar free.Do check it out.Also look at my super simple Instant Ragi dosa recipe– I am sure you will love it!
If you like the recipe, do leave a comment below or share your pictures with me on Instagram!
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #instantpotdishes on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
You can also join our community of instant potters to discover share and connect with likeminded people.
- 1.5 Cup Ragi Flour
- 1 Cup Quick Oats
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Ripe Bananas(Cups)
- 1.5 Cup Jaggery/Coconut Sugar/ Palm Sugar/White Sugar- Powdered I like my cake less sweet and use only 3/4 Cup
- 1/2 Cup Oil- Coconut or Refined Oil
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt Use dairy Free Yogurt for Vegan version
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts Optional
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips Optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 360 degree F.Prepare the loaf Pan by lining it with butter paper and oiling it on all sides.
- In a large bowl,Mix the Ragi,Oats,Baking Powder,Baking soda & Salt together.
- Take another bowl and Mash the Bananas.Add the Powdered Jaggery, Oil and Yogurt and whisk.
- Pour the liquid banana mix into the Flour mixture.Mix it all well together.
- Mix the chocolate chip and Walnuts.
- Pour into a loaf Pan and bake for 30-40 minutes till the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Read more about millets and how they compare with wheat and rice on my how to introduce Millets in our diets.
For more everyday Millet recipe inspirations- follow my millet board on PINTREST175