Baked Ragi Namak Pare – My healthy spin on the traditional Namak Pare. These are made with 70% Ragi flour and baked instead of being fried while retaining all the crunch and the fun!
Now there is absolutely no restriction on how many namak pare you can eat!
If you are a regular here, you would know I love everything Ragi! It has such a distinct character and taste! It being healthy and rich in iron, for me is just incidental.Read more about millets and how they compare with wheat and rice on my how to introduce Millets in our diets.
I frankly couldn’t wait to share this new recipe here with you guys.I am also thinking about making a sweet version of this.
Difference between Normal Namal Pare & Baked Ragi Namak Pare
Traditional namak paare are extremely heavy and carb rich.They are not the healthiest snack you can consume but there is something highly nostalgic about them and that’s the reason I decided to make these Baked Ragi Namak Pare without the extra calories!
These Namak Paare are made with Ragi flour and a very minimal amount of all purpose flour which makes them so much more nutritious.Ragi is super high on iron and fibre
- 1 Cup Ragi Flour
- 1/2 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin(jeera)
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Carrom Seeds(Ajwain)
- 2 tbsp Cold Solid Butter Cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp Cold milk
- Salt to taste
- Mix the Ragi flour, all purpose flour, chilli powder, jeera,sesame and carrom seeds.Add Salt.
- To the dry mix, add the butter and rub it into the flour so it resembles course meal
- Add milk and mix.Add 1 tsp water at a time and bring the dough toghether.
- Cover and rest in fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Roll and cut shapes.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170 degree C for 12-15 minutes.
Read more about millets and how they compare with wheat and rice on my how to introduce Millets in our diets.
For more everyday Millet recipe inspirations- follow my millet board on PINTREST