Who doesn’t love a perfectly roasted chicken?I like mine full of flavour and Spices.Today’s Chicken dish is an Indian style Chicken Roast.
There may be myriad ways of roasting a chicken but the most comforting for me is this Spicy Chicken made with warm spices and yogurt.It has what my palate recognises and associates with comfort food.
The Indian Marinade for Roast Chicken
Marinating the chicken overnight will make sure that it’s well seasoned and flavourful.I have used some basic Indian spices along with two important ingredients Yogurt and Vinegar.
Yogurt and Vinegar not only impart flavour but also tenderise the chicken from inside.Rest of the spices are everyday available Indian pantry staples – Coriander,cumin,Chilli powder and pepper.
if you want to make the Chicken extra spicy – simply add more more green chilli to it.
How to Prepare a Chicken for Roasting
This part would probably make most people squeamish but you don’t have to do anything yourself.I usually just order the way I want my chicken online on Freshtohome,Bigbasket or Licious- whole Chicken,cleaned,with or without skin.
You don’t have to wash the chicken.Just pat it dry with a paper napkin and rub the marinade on it.Tie the chicken legs together with a kitchen thread and tuck the wings under.
If you are running short on time and you can also spatchcock the Chicken, also known as butterflying it.In this method you simply use kitchen sheers or a knife to remove the back bone of the chicken and lay it flat for roasting.This method reduces the time it takes to cook the chicken and also makes sure it cooks evenly.
How to Roast a Chicken – Indian Style
Let’s talk about technique now.
Before I start, let’s demystify this Indian Style Chicken Roast.It’s not difficult especially if you know a few tricks.
- Marinade for as long as possible for a perfect succulent and super tender chicken.
- Timing-Do not over bake the Chicken.A 1- 1.5 kg(2-3 pound) chicken usually gets done in about 40 minutes to 1 hour.Nothing more than that!
- Skin-Chicken with skin usually is more tender but that said, chicken without skin is easier to handle, cook and eat.
- How to Check if it’s cooked-To check if the chicken is cooked pierce the chicken between the thigh and body.Clean juices should ooze out.You can also use a cooking thermometer and check the thigh temperature.It should read anywhere between 165-170 degree F or 75 C.
- Also note- chicken available in india is usually smaller than everywhere else.So bigger the chicken, longer it will take to cook.
- Whole Chicken- with skin or without as per preference
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 4-5 Potatoes- Cubed
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp thick yogurt
- 2 inch ginger
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 2 green Chillis
- 1/2 tsp of Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Salt adjust as per taste
- 1 tsp Ghee/Oil
- Mint and Coriander Leaves
- Take all the ingredients listed under marinade and puree it in a food processor.
- Reserve 1 tbsp marinade for the potatoes and Rub the rest of the marinade generously on the chicken.Keep it refrigerated for 1 hour (upto 24 hours.)
- Mix the left over marinade with the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the chicken breast side up on the baking tray.Keep the potatoes around the chicken.Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 40 minutes.
- Take out the chicken at the 30 minute mark, brush with the 1 tsp left over ghee and place it back in the oven.
- To check the doneness of the chicken- pierce the chicken at the body-thigh joint.If clear juices ooze out then the chicken is cooked.
More Indian Chicken recipes for you!
Malabar Chicken Peralan | Kerala Style Kozhi Peralan Roast