Easy Indian Chicken Roast Recipe – Whole Chicken & potatoes roasted with desi indian spices ,yogurt and Ghee.
Who doesn’t love a perfect Full chicken roast?I like mine full of flavour and Spices.Today’s Chicken dish is an Indian style Chicken Roast.
There may be myriad ways of roasting a chicken but the most comforting for me is this Spicy Chicken made with warm spices and yogurt.It has what my palate recognises and associates with comfort food.
How to make Indian Chicken Roast
Step by step way of making Indian Chicken Roast
- Make the marinade
Puree all the ingredients listed under marinade-
- Marinate the Chicken
Reserve 1 tbsp of marinade for the potatoes and rub the rest generously over the Chicken. Refrigerate for 1 hour to 24 hours.
- Bake the Chicken
Preheat the oven to 200 degree C.Place the Chicken Breast side up on a baking tray.Bake for 30 minutes.Take out at 30 minutes,brush with ghee and put it back in the oven.
Let the Chicken Cool and rest for atleast 10 minutes before cutting.
The Indian Marinade for the Full chicken Roast
Marinating the chicken overnight will make sure that it’s well seasoned and flavourful.I have used some basic Indian spices along with two important ingredients Yogurt and Vinegar.
Yogurt and Vinegar not only impart flavour but also tenderise the chicken from inside.Rest of the spices are everyday available Indian pantry staples – Coriander,cumin,Chilli powder and pepper.
if you want to make the Chicken extra spicy – simply add more more green chilli to it.
Easy Indian Style Chicken Roast | Chicken Roast Masala
How to Prepare the Whole Chicken for Roasting
This part would probably make most people squeamish but you don’t have to do anything yourself.I usually just order the way I want my chicken online on Freshtohome,Bigbasket or Licious- whole Chicken,cleaned,with or without skin.
You don’t have to wash the chicken.Just pat it dry with a paper napkin and rub the marinade on it.Tie the chicken legs together with a kitchen thread and tuck the wings under.
If you are running short on time and you can also spatchcock the Chicken, also known as butterflying it.In this method you simply use kitchen sheers or a knife to remove the back bone of the chicken and lay it flat for roasting.This method reduces the time it takes to cook the chicken and also makes sure it cooks evenly.
Tips & Tricks to make Indian Chicken Roast
Let’s talk about technique now.
Before I start, let’s demystify this Indian Style Chicken Roast.It’s not difficult especially if you know a few tricks.
- Marinade for as long as possible for a perfect succulent and super tender chicken.
- Timing-Do not over bake the Chicken.A 1- 1.5 kg(2-3 pound) chicken usually gets done in about 40 minutes to 1 hour.Nothing more than that!
- Skin-Chicken with skin usually is more tender but that said, chicken without skin is easier to handle, cook and eat.
- How to Check if it’s cooked-To check if the chicken is cooked pierce the chicken between the thigh and body.Clean juices should ooze out.You can also use a cooking thermometer and check the thigh temperature.It should read anywhere between 165-170 degree F or 75 C.
- Also note- chicken available in india is usually smaller than everywhere else.So bigger the chicken, longer it will take to cook.
Here are some more Indian Chicken recipes that you will love
- Whole Chicken- with skin or without as per preference
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 4-5 Potatoes- Cubed
- 1 lime
- Mint and Coriander Leaves
- Take all the ingredients listed under marinade and puree it in a food processor.
- Reserve 1 tbsp marinade for the potatoes and Rub the rest of the marinade generously on the chicken.Keep it refrigerated for 1 hour (upto 24 hours.)
- Mix the left over marinade with the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the chicken breast side up on the baking tray.Keep the potatoes around the chicken.Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 40 minutes.
- Take out the chicken at the 30 minute mark, brush with the 1 tsp left over ghee and place it back in the oven.
- To check the doneness of the chicken- pierce the chicken at the body-thigh joint.If clear juices ooze out then the chicken is cooked.
FAQs for Full Chicken Roast
How to truss the chicken
After marinating, simple tie together the legs with a sturdy twine.If not, tuck it under and wrap with a foil while cooking so that it doesn’t get overcooked.Here is very informative post on trusting a chicken.
How to reduce the spice and heat of this Chicken
Skip the Chilli powder and the green chillies.
What are the alternatives to the spices
The recipe calls for a lot of spices.if you cant find them, use Curry powder or Garam Masala instead.
Non Dairy Version of the Roast Chicken
Use water instead of the yogurt to make a paste.Alternatively, you can also use coconut cream or non dairy yogurt.67