Traditional South Indian Curd Rice - made with soft rice, yogurt and a tempering made with cumin, mustard, ginger, curry leaves and chillies.
This is a beginner recipe but it's a recipe you will cherish all your life!
Curd Rice is a humble humble(yes twice for emphasis) dish.This and a comforting khichadi will be your constant companions on days when life gives you lemons.
Though it is simple, a lot of people end up making a holy mess out of it because they don't know the RIGHT way to make it.Yes you could argue what's so difficult about mixing curd with rice but then you haven't tasted my curd rice yet.
So here are the Rules for the PERFECT Traditional South Indian Curd Rice
Rule 1 - The Curd Rice has to be served COLD.Warm or Hot curd rice is S**T.
Rule 2 - Do not use Basmati rice! Use regular rice.
Rule 3 - The curd rice should be served with something amazingly crunchy, spicy and decadent.If you don't have something crunchy, spicy or decadent then serve it with lime pickle.
How to Make Curd Rice
- Cook the rice.It should be slightly overcooked.Cool it completely.
- Mix it with curd and season with Salt.Add Chopped Coriander leaves.
- Prepare the Tempering with - Oil,Cumin,Mustard Seeds,Ginger,Curry Leaves and Chillies.
- Pour the tempering over the curd rice.Give it a mix and refrigerate before serving!
Expert Tips and Tricks
- ALWAYS cool the rice before mixing with the curd.You can spread the rice in a large plate and place it under the fan to cool.
- Overcook the rice slightly.Only slightly.Don't make a mush of it over wise it will turn into sick peoples food.The curd rice should be soft not porridge like.
- Top it with fruits like pomegranate,kiwi and other berries.
- If the curd rice seems too solid, add a little milk to loosen it up.
Dietary details of CURD RICE
Okay so the Traditional South indian curd rice is
- Gluten Free
- Not Vegan or Paleo or Whole 30.
Different Types of Curd Rice
So you can make curd rice in a zillion ways but here are some classics
- Capsicum Curd Rice - Add chopped up capsicum in the tempering and mix with the curd rice.
- Carrot Curd Rice - Add grated carrot to the rice and Curd.
- Curd Rice with Pomegranate - After tempering, add fresh pomegranate arris on top of the curd rice as a garnish.
- Special Curd Rice -Top the curd rice with fruits like pomegranate, kiwi or sweet berries and dry fruits like you would to a smoothie bowl.
Side dish for curd rice
Almost without fail I serve this along with some potatoes, pickle and papad.It's just the day I love it.
Though I think it goes wonderfully well with some dry chicken ,fish or mutton preparation too- like the Ghee roast chicken or prawn sukka.
- 1 Cup White Rice
- 3 Cups Yogurt more if required.
- ¼ Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Oil Gingely/Groundnut or vegetable oil.
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ tablespoon Grated Ginger
- 1 Green Chilli Sliced
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- 1-2 Dried Red Bonnet Chillies optional
- 1 pinch Asafetida Optional
- Take 1 Cup rice in 2 ¼ cups of water with 1 teaspoon of Salt.Pressure cooker/Instant Pot* or stove top till its cooked.
- Spread the hot rice on a plate and let it cool down.
- Once it's at room temperature, Add the yogurt and give it a good mix. To this, add the coriander leaves.
- In a small tempering pan or kadai, heat the oil.Once its shimmering, add the mustard and cumin.Let it splutter.
- Reduce the flame.Add the ginger, curry leaves, green chillies, red bonnet chillies and asafoetida(if using).Switch off the flame.
- Pour the tempering over the curd rice and give it a mix.Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or more till it's cold and serve
Leave a Reply