Malabar Chicken Peralan or Kozhi Peralan as is known regionally is a famous dry Chicken Roast from the state of Kerala.
It’s very popular in the Malayali Christian Community but like all traditional recipe everyone has their own versions of it.This recipe is adapted from the famous book Flavours of the Spice Coast by Mrs K. M Mathew.This book was published almost two decades ago and has since been handed to every new bride in the Malabar community.
The first time I made it ,both I and Abhishek were pleasantly surprised with how rounded the flavours were- everything is in a fine balance- the heat from the chillies,the warmth from the spices, the sourness from vinegar.Everything has a role to play and all the spices just sing through in cohesion.
As suggested by the name, this is a dry chicken preparation.We usually eat it with either Dal and Rice or Bisibela Bhat or plain chapattis with a curry on the side.
Tricks and Tips to make the best Chicken Peralan
The first trick I have used it not actually a trick at all but common sense.I remove or sideline the onions before adding the chicken so that it can char nicely without over cooking and burning the onions.This way the chicken gets a beautiful brown colour on it.This step is especially necessary if you are using chicken with skin so that the skin can be rendered.
Chicken to be used
I have used chicken drumsticks but you can use normal curry cut chicken for this too.If you are serving this as a starter I would use chicken breast instead which would half the cooking time.
I daresay this can be made with whole chicken too but that it’s a bridge I haven’t crossed yet.
- 1/2 Kg Chicken
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 10-15 Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Cup shallots- Sliced Thin
- 1 inch Ginger- minced
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves-minced
- Salt to Taste
- Garnish -Coriander Leaves
- 4 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 8 Cloves
- 4 Cardamom
- 1 tsp Saunf Fennel
- Dry roast the spices under Masala- Coriander Seeds,Chillies,Turmeric,Cumin,peppercorns,Cinnamon Stick,Cloves,Cardamom & Saunf.
- Once they cool down, Powder them in a food processor.
- In a Pan, Add the oil.
- When the oil is sufficiently hot add the mustard seeds.Once they start to splutter add ginger ,garlic & curry leaves.
- Add and sauté the finely sliced shallots till they are brown.Now either move them to the side or remove them from the pan.
- Add the chicken and let it brown without moving too often.Roast it for 10-15 minutes to get a good caramalised on all sides.If it's getting too dry add a tbsp of water.
- Add and mix back the onions.Spoon in the vinegar along with 1/2 cup of water.Add salt to taste.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes on medium flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Dal and Rice or Chapattis.
Some other India Curries that you MUST try!