Instant Pot Butter Chicken – Video recipe of Authentic Punjabi Butter Chicken aka Murg Makhani, made under 30 minutes in the Pressure cooker.
Butter Chicken or Murg Makhani along with Tandoori Chicken is such a quintessential indian chicken curry on every indian resturant menu.This recipe though is better than resturant quality butter chicken!
This dish originated a mile away from where i was born.Lol.Needless to say it’s close to my heart.Heck ,it’s close to every indian’s heart.This and Dal Makhani and Naan toghether are just pure heaven!
It is a mild Indian curry made primarily with Chicken, yogurt, butter and Fresh Cream.Yes.It’s dairy heavy but thats what makes it super delicious.
There are ways to make it Keto, Dairy Free and Paleo.Scroll down to the tips, tricks and Alternatives to check on the swaps.
The main flavour comes from the use of cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
Here are some more delicious Indian chicken curries
How to make the best ever Instant Pot Butter Chicken
Ingredients for Murg Makhani
The ingredients are simple and frankly a short list, especially for an indian curry but trust me.This is all you will need to make the Best Butter Chicken Ever!
- Spices- Cardamom,Cinnamon and Cloves
- Tomato Puree*
- Dried Fenugreek leaves aka Kasoori Methi***
Tomato Puree*- If you can’t find tomato puree where you live, use canned tomatoes or passata instead.
Kasoori Methi***- This adds a beautiful umami flavour to the butter chicken.If you can’t find it, you can leave it out though i urge you to order some from amazon!
Read in the Alternatives section to make a diary free healthier version of this indian chicken curry below.
Step by Step Making of Butter Chicken
Making Butter Chicken – Step by Step – Do Check the Video above to see the actual making of the instant pot butter chicken.
Marinade the Chicken
Marinate the chicken with yogurt, salt and turmeric.Set aside for at least 15 minutes to 24 hours in the refrigerator.The longer you marinade, the better the flavours.
Cook the Onions and Spices
Heat the instant pot in saute mode, once hot, add butter and spices.Add the onions and cook till translucent.You dont want to brown them, but just soften them so they thicken up in the butter chicken gravy.
Add the Chilli & Tomato Puree
Next, add the Kashmiri Chilli or paprika followed with the tomato puree.Saute the Chilli in the butter before adding the tomato.This will give the butter chicken a bright orange colour. Add the honey next and cook together while stirring occasionally.
Add the marinated chicken
Add all the chicken along with the marinade.Give it a mix.Add 1/2 Cup of water.The chicken will release some of its juices and we also added the yogurt, thats the reason 1/2 cup of water will work in this dish.
Pressure Cook on HIGH for 10 minutes followed by a quick release.
Open the instant pot.Add cream and reduce the gravy if you prefer it thick.Sprinkle the kasuri methi and give it a stir.
Garnish the butter chicken with more cream and fresh coriander leaves and serve with rotis or rice.
Tips,Tricks & Alternatives
- If you can’t find Kashmiri chilli- use paprika or whatever regional mild chilli powder you can find.This ingredient is more for colour than taste.
- Don’t skip on Sauteing the chilli in butter before adding the chicken. This step will give a great color to the curry.
- Instead of honey- you can use sugar, jaggery and maple syrup.
Gluten Free Version Murg Makhani-
This recipe is naturally gluten free.
Dairy Free and Lactose Free Butter Chicken
To make this dairy Free,Use oil instead of Ghee, substitute dairy cream with cashew cream and leave out the yogurt for chicken marination.
Whole 30 Paleo Version Murg Makhani
To make this instant pot butter chicken whole 30 and paleo complaint- Use Clarified Ghee instead of butter,Skip the yogurt, use cashew cream instead of dairy cream and add pureed dates instead of honey.
Here are some more indian instant pot recipes
- Marinate the Chicken in yogurt,turmeric and salt.Set aside for 15 minutes to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat the instant pot in SAUTE mode.When Hot, add 2 tbsp butter.
- Add the spices- cardamom,cinnamon and cloves.
- Tip in the chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes till it turns translucent.
- Sprinkle the red kashmiri chilli powder & Ginger.Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree and saute for another 3-4 minutes till you can see the butter on the sides.
- Add the chicken with the marinade.Add 1/2 Cup water and cancel saute.
- Close the lid,select PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL at HIGH for 10 minutes.Quick Release and open the pot.
- Select Saute.Add the cream slowly and keep stirring.
- Check the salt.Add Kasuri Methi,Honey, Garam masala(if using) and stir it once again.Check on the salt.Add more if needed.
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
Some Common FAQs on Butter Chicken
You could but i prefer the cashew nut alternatives instead of coconut milk.Coconut milk changes the flavour profile of butter chicken completely.
Yes, it’s also called Chicken Makhani
Chicken Tikka Masala is made with tandoori chicken and tends to be spicier and less creamy than butter chicken.
No.Chicken Korma is made with fried onions and cashew paste as a base.The taste and texture are very different.
Yes.Pressure cook only for 5 minutes instead.Follow rest of the recipe as it is.