Instant Pot Butter Chicken – Video recipe of Authentic Punjabi Butter Chicken aka Murg Makhani, made under 30 minutes in the Pressure cooker.
Butter Chicken or Murg Makhani along with Tandoori Chicken is such a quintessential indian chicken curry on every indian resturant menu.This recipe though is better than resturant quality butter chicken!
This dish originated a mile away from where I was born .Lol. Needless to say it’s close to my heart. Actually ,it’s close to every indian’s heart. This and Dal Makhani and Naan together are just pure heaven!
It is a mild Indian curry made primarily with Chicken, yogurt, butter and Fresh Cream.Yes.It’s dairy heavy but thats what makes it super delicious.
There are ways to make it Keto, Dairy Free and Paleo.Scroll down to the tips, tricks and Alternatives to check on the swaps.
The main flavour comes from the use of cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
Why make Butter Chicken in Instant Pot
This is a super fast version of butter chicken. You can make it in a pot or a traditional pressure cooker too. Though making butter chicken in the instant pot as some distinct advantages.
- Minimal active time- Once you saute the chicken and onion, most work is done by the pressure cooker.
- One pot recipe- One pot for making the gravy and browning the chicken.
- Super Quick- This recipe would take a lot more time when made in a pot.
- Flavor – Pressure cooking the Butter Chicken Gravy, makes is silky and smooth.
How to make Instant Pot Butter Chicken
Ingredients for Instant Pot Butter Chicken
The ingredients are simple and frankly a short list, especially for an indian curry but trust me.This is all you will need to make the Best Butter Chicken Ever!
- Spices- Cardamom,Cinnamon and Cloves
- Tomato Puree*
- Dried Fenugreek leaves aka Kasoori Methi***
Tomato Puree*- If you can’t find tomato puree where you live, use canned tomatoes or passata instead.
Kasoori Methi***- This adds a beautiful umami flavour to the butter chicken.If you can’t find it, you can leave it out though i urge you to order some from amazon!
Read in the Alternatives section to make a diary free healthier version of this indian chicken curry below.
Step by Step Making of Butter Chicken
Making Butter Chicken – Step by Step – Do Check the Video above to see the actual making of the instant pot butter chicken.
Marinade the Chicken
Marinate the chicken with yogurt, salt and turmeric.Set aside for at least 15 minutes to 24 hours in the refrigerator.The longer you marinade, the better the flavours.
Cook the Onions and Spices
Heat the instant pot in sauté mode, once hot, add butter and spices. Add the onions and cook till translucent. You don’t want to brown them, but just soften them so they thicken up in the butter chicken gravy.
Add the Chilli & Tomato Puree
Next, add the Kashmiri Chilli or paprika followed with the tomato puree.Saute the Chilli in the butter before adding the tomato.This will give the butter chicken a bright orange colour. Add the honey next and cook together while stirring occasionally.
Add the marinated chicken
Add all the chicken along with the marinade.Give it a mix.Add 1/2 Cup of water.The chicken will release some of its juices and we also added the yogurt, thats the reason 1/2 cup of water will work in this dish.
Pressure Cook on HIGH for 10 minutes followed by a quick release.
Open the instant pot.Add cream and reduce the gravy if you prefer it thick.Sprinkle the kasuri methi and give it a stir.
Garnish the butter chicken with more cream and fresh coriander leaves and serve with rotis or rice.
Tips to make Butter Chicken
- If you can’t find Kashmiri chilli- use paprika or whatever regional mild chilli powder you can find.This ingredient is more for colour than taste.
- Don’t skip on Sauteing the chilli in butter before adding the chicken. This step will give a great color to the curry.
- Instead of honey- you can use sugar, jaggery and maple syrup.
Gluten Free Version Murg Makhani-
This recipe is naturally gluten free.
Dairy Free and Lactose Free Butter Chicken
To make this dairy Free, Use oil instead of Ghee, substitute dairy cream with cashew cream and leave out the yogurt for chicken marination.
Whole 30 Paleo Version Butter Chicken
To make this instant pot butter chicken whole 30 and paleo complaint- Use Clarified Ghee instead of butter,Skip the yogurt, use cashew cream instead of dairy cream and add pureed dates instead of honey.
Fastest Instant Pot Butter Chicken
Sometimes I just want to make a faster butter chicken. Yes you loose some flavor but when I am in a hurry, this way works for me.
There are 1 major changes in this recipe- No Sauté of onions or the chicken.
You add, onions, Marinated Chicken, Water mixed with all the spices and salt. Add Tomato puree on top. Pressure Cook for 10 minutes on High and Quick Release.
Add Cream, bring to a simmer and serve!
Here are some more delicious Indian chicken curries
Here are some more indian instant pot recipes
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #instantpotdishes on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
You can also join our community of instant potters to discover share and connect with likeminded people.
- Marinate the Chicken in yogurt,turmeric and salt.Set aside for 15 minutes to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat the instant pot in SAUTE mode.When Hot, add 2 tbsp butter.
- Add the spices- cardamom,cinnamon and cloves.
- Tip in the chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes till it turns translucent.
- Sprinkle the red kashmiri chilli powder & Ginger.Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree and saute for another 3-4 minutes till you can see the butter on the sides.
- Add the chicken with the marinade.Add 1/2 Cup water and cancel saute.
- Close the lid,select PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL at HIGH for 10 minutes.Quick Release and open the pot.
- Select Saute.Add the cream slowly and keep stirring.
- Check the salt.Add Kasuri Methi,Honey, Garam masala(if using) and stir it once again.Check on the salt.Add more if needed.
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
Faster Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Marinate the Chicken in yogurt, turmeric and salt .Let it sit till you gather all your ingredients.
- Mix the 1/2 cup water with red kashmiri chilli powder,Salt, Ginger, cardamom,cinnamon and cloves.Put the water on top of the onions.
- Add the marinated chicken, 2 tbsp butter and onions on top. Give it a mix.
- On top of this, add the tomato puree on top. Do not mix.
- Close the instant pot and select PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure once the cooking time is done.
- Open the pot, add cream, Kasuri Methi, Honey , Garam masala and mix it up.
- Change to Saute and bring it to simmer.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot!