Instant Pot Matar Paneer - Indian Instant Pot Vegetarian Curry made with firm cottage cheese aka paneer and green peas.
This is a classic Indian dish, usually made on special occasions or when you want to put in special effort for someone(or yourself!).The traditional way of making is a tad long but the instant pot version is super fast and efficient.
if you want, you can replace the firm cottage cheese with tofu and call is Instant Pot Tofu Matar.it's healthier, vegan and higher in protein too!
So ,what is Matar Paneer?
It's a curry made with paneer and peas.The sauce base is usually made with onions, tomatoes and spices.In some cases khoya or khoa, which is reduced milk solids, is added.This is especially done for bigger events and celebrations.
This version though, is a Quick and Efficient and with minimal ingredients(it doesn't feel like that but really it is!).
There are a lot of optional ingredients which you can omit to make a no frill version of this matar paneer.
What do you need to Cook Matar Paneer in Instant Pot
Here is the ingredient list.As i said above, made a no frills,simpled version by omitting all the optional ingredients!
- 1 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 200 gms Paneer or Tofu
- 1 Cup Peas- Frozen or fresh
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Cups Ripe Tomatoes -Quartered
- 6-8 Cashews
- 3-4 Green Cardamom
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder or Paprika
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala- Optional
- 1 tbsp Kasoori Methi-Dried Fenugreek leaves Optional
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree -Optional but adds great taste and colour
- ¼ tsp Sugar/Honey- Optional
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream- Optional
- Coriander for garnish
Substitute Turmeric, Coriander powder and Chilli powder with your favourite Indian curry powder.
How to make Matar Paneer in Instant Pot
Step 1: Using the Saute function, heat the instant pot.Add oil or ghee along with the whole spices.
Add onions and ginger garlic paste. Saute till the onion is translucent about 2-3 minutes.
Step 2: Add the tomatoes, tomato puree(if using),cashews, spices- turmeric, chilli powder and coriander powder.Mix.
Step 3: Pressure Cook- Add ½ Cup of water.Cancel Saute and close the lid.
Select PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes on HIGH.At the end of 4 minutes, quick release the pressure and open the lid
Step 4:Puree the gravy- Puree everything together using a hand blender or if using the normal blender, let the sauce cook a bit before pureeing.
Step 5: Add the paneer or tofu, peas, honey(if using) and salt.Select PRESSURE COOK for 1 minute on HIGH.Quick release.You can avoid this step all together if using pre cooked peas.
Step 6: Garnish- with a splash of fresh cream, kasoori methi ,garam masala and cilantro.
Tips to make Matar Paneer in Instant Pot
- Remove the whole spices before pureeing the sauce, atleast the bigger spices.You can leave in the cardamoms if it's too much work to fish them out.
- For a Flavourful sauce, saute the onion- tomato masala for 10 more minutes.The bits and bobs of onions and tomato will get caramalised and give out more flavour.
- Make store bought paneer fresh and soft by soaking it in warm water for a few minutes before cooking.
- Paneer is best stored in a water bath with a teaspoon of vinegar.
- The sauce of matar paneer can made in bulk and frozen for upto 3 months.
Dietary details of Instant Pot Matar Paneer
Matar Paneer is a vegetarian dish.It's naturally gluten Free.
To make it healthier- skip on the cream.
Vegan Matar Paneer
Matar paneer can be easily made vegan by replacing firm cottage cheese with tofu and fresh cream with cashew cream.
Stove Top Matar Paneer
The same recipe can be followed on stove top or a traditional pressure cooker too.
There are two important steps.First one is to boil the onion-tomato masala, which can be done with 2 whistles in a traditional pressure cooker or 20 minutes covered in a pot.
Second step is cooking the peas and paneer.Just add them and boil the curry once.It will do the trick.
Variations of Matar Paneer
There are lots of variations of matar paneer.The popular one's being
Matar Paneer with Makhana
Matar Paneer with Khoya
Matar Paneer with Tofu
Matar Paneer with fried paneer
How to serve Matar Paneer
If you are making a bunch of recipes for an indian spread, do also consider making this silky Eggplant curry.It's absolutely delish!
It also goes very well with some freshly made Naans or plain parathas.
More Indian Instant Pot Recipes for you
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or Oil
- 200 gms Paneer
- 1 Cup Peas Frozen or Fresh
- 1 Onion chopped about ½ Cup
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Cups Ripe Tomaotes -Quartered about 1 Cup
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Puree Optional but adds great taste and colour
- ¼ Cup Cashews
- ½ Cup Water
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar/Honey Optional
- 2 tablespoon Heavy Cream Optional
- Heat the instant pot in SAUTE mode.Add oil and whole spices- Bay leaf, cardamom and Cinnamon Stick.
- Add the onions and ginger garlic paste. Saute till translucent ,about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, cashews, spices- turmeric, coriander powder and chilli powder.Cancel SAUTE mode.
- Add ½ Cup water, close the lid and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 4 minutes.Quick Release at the end of the 4 minutes.
- Open the lid, Use an immersion blender to make a smooth puree.
- Add paneer(or tofu),peas and honey.Close the lid again and PRESSURE COOK for 1 minute on HIGH.Quick release after 1 minute.
- Open the lid- Optional - add kasoori methi(dried fenugreek),cream and garam Masala
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot.
- Substitute Red Chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric with curry powder.
- Honey/sugar is optional and is usually used if the tomatoes are too tart.
- Use Tofu instead of paneer to make it vegan
- Heavy Cream is optional- Adds a creaminess to the sauce