How to make Chicken Biryani in Instant Pot – Highly popular recipe of Indian Chicken Biryani made entirely in the Instant Pot.Precise Instant Pot recipe which gives the same result every single time!
Making Biryani is no child’s play.It takes a lot of patience and experience to make a perfect biryani.It has too many variables which can go wrong.
- The Moisture has to be right- too much liquid and the biryani is like khichadi and too little liquid will result in a dry biryani.
- Right amount of Salt and Spices
- Perfectly Cooked Rice & Chicken– Both chicken and rice have different cooking times and that’s why it’s difficult to get the time of cooking right.
That is why making Chicken Biryani in Instant Pot is a much controlled way of getting the right result EVERY SINGLE TIME.
This recipe has been tested multiple times.In fact I took about 1 whole month to get the precise cooking time, ratios of rice to chicken to liquid.
If made exactly as per the recipe- the resultant biryani will be moist with separate (not overcooked) basmati rice, tender chicken and a medium spice level.
How to make Chicken Biryani in Instant Pot
Step 1- Marinate the chicken with Thick yogurt, ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander powder, salt, Lime juice,Biryani Masala(if using), mint and coriander leaves.
Step 2- Soak the Basmati rice for 1 hour.
Step 3- Using the SAUTE function on the instant pot brown the onions in Ghee and whole spices.Reserve about 2 tbsp of brown onions.
Step 4- Add Chicken along with the marination.Mix it well.Pressure Cook on high for 4 minutes and Quick Release the pressure.
To that add Soaked rice.Add the water mixed with salt on top of the rice and Pressure cook on HIGH for 7 minutes.Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then Quick Release the pressure valve and open the Pot.
Open the Instant Pot,Top with Saffron milk, reserved onions and coriander leaves.Mix it all up and close the lid again for 10-15 minutes.
This is a precise recipe which has been repeatedly tested on the 6 qts instant pot.If followed exactly – it should give you a medium spiced Biryani which has separate but cooked rice grains and tender cooked chicken.
Things to remember while making Instant pot Biryani
Before you jump to the recipe, do remember to do the following-
- Measure out the ingredients PRECISELY.Especially the Rice,Chicken and the liquids- water & Yogurt.Make sure yogurt is thick.
- Make Sure you soak the rice.This is crucial for the cooking of rice.
- Chicken with Bones- This recipe is SPECIFICALLY for Chicken with bones.Any other kind of chicken- boneless or chicken breast will not have same cooking time.
- Use only Basmati rice. Other rice like brown rice, short grain rice will have very different cooking times.
- Follow the Instant Pot Cooking times exactly.
How to serve Chicken Biryani
Biryani is usually served with a raita.You can also serve it with plain yogurt and a salad.
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 Green Chilli – chopped omit this to make it less spicy
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt(130 gms) or any thick yogurt
- 2 lime Juiced about 2 tbsp of juice.
- 1/4 Cup Coriander leaves Packed
- 1/4 Cup Mint Leaves Packed
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder or paprika or omit to make it less spicy
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- Mix the Chicken and all the ingredients listed under marination- ginger, garlic, lime, Yogurt, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, mint & Coriander leaves.Also add Biryani Masala or Garam Masala if using.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Wash & Soak the Basmati rice for 1 hour.
- Select the SAUTE function,Set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Once hot, add ghee.Let it melt.
- To this add the whole spices-green cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, stone flower & star anise.Set it sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced onions and keep moving them around till they are brown.This should take a total of 20-22 minutes.(This could vary according to the thickness of you onion slices)
- Reserve half the onions.
- To half the remaining onions, add the chicken along with the marinade.Cancel the Saute function.
- Select PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL option.Set the time for 4 minutes on high pressure.Close the lid, set the pressure valve to SEALING position.
- Once 4 minutes is up, Quick Release the pressure and open the pot.
Cooking the Biryani
- Give the Chicken a mix.
- Mix 1 cup of water with 1 tsp of salt.
- Add the Soaked Rice and salted 1 Cup of water on top of the rice
- Select PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL option.Set the time for 7 minutes on high pressure.Close the lid, set the pressure valve to SEALING position.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then do a quick release(10NPR)
- Open the lid, garnish with rest of the onions,Saffron in milk, hand full fresh coriander & mint leaves.Mix it all up.
- Cover and let the biryani sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Measure out the ingredients precisely.Especially the Rice,Chicken and the liquids.
- Make sure you soak the rice.This is crucial for the cooking of rice.
- Use chicken with Bones- This recipe is specifically for Chicken with bones.Any other kind of chicken- boneless or chicken breast will not have same cooking time.I using frozen chicken, thaw completely before cooking.
- Use only Basmati rice.Other rice like brown rice,short grain rice will have very different cooking times.
- To reduce the spice levels- omit or reduce the amount of green chillies and red chilli powder.
Here are some more Indian Instant Pot Recipes that you will love!8