Instant Pot Pulao- Veggie loaded Rice Pulao or pilaf made with Basmati Rice,Vegetables and whole spices in the instant pot.
This dish can be many things- a simple lunch with just some yogurt on the side.It can be a part of a larger whole ,a fancier lunch or dinner along with a rich curry and a few sides.
It's super easy to make this dish in an instant pot though you can make it in a deep pot or a pan too.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
Here is a list of ingredients
- Rice- White Rice
- Spices- Clove & Bay leaf
- Oil or Ghee
Basmati Rice-I use Long grain Basmati Rice. If you swap if with any other kind of rice, the water ratio will change.You can also use other type of Rice like short grain rice, brown rice.Swapping it with brown rice will over cook the vegetables but will still be great.
Vegetables-Any vegetable that can hold shape will do.I usually use pre cut frozen mixed vegetables that have peas, carrots and beans.Carrots, beans, Corn, Peas & Potatoes work well with this dish.
Spices- I have used a combination of whole spices and ground spices. They add a lot of flavour and depth to the pulav.Though if you cant get hands on spices, you can spik them.
Add what you have and skip what you dont have.
Onions- White or yellow will work great here.If you are in india, regular pink color onions work well.They are cut lenghtwise into slices.
Mint Leaves- You can substitute these with Cilantro( coriander) or even dill leaves.Though the flavour will change but it will be delicious.
How to make Instant Pot Pulao
The actual cooking of Instant Pot Pulao is quite simple.A few steps and thats it.
Step 1: Prep
Always wash your rice before cooking it.You don't want to end up with muddy rice.
Prep the vegetables- If using frozen vegetables, you can add them straight to the pot.If you are using fresh vegetables, cut them slightly chunky, especially if you want them to hold their shapes.
Slice the onions as thin as you can.This will make the browing process faster.
Step 2: Saute
Heat the instant pot in the SAUTE mode.Once the HOT message is visible, Add ghee.Ghee will bring a lot of flavour to the rice but if you do not have it, add butter or oil.
Along with the ghee, add the whole spices- Cardamom, Cloves and Bay leaf.
Add the onions and saute them till they are brown.This step adds oodles of flavour.This is the only hands on step in making the Rice pilaf.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
Once your onions are the colour you want, add water, Ginger and garlic, salt, ground Garam Masala and mint leaves.
Add the rice and give it a mix.
Top this with vegetables and DO not mix.
Close the pot.Select PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL at LOW pressure and set the timer for 5 minutes.
Once the time is up,Let the pressure release naturally for 5-6 minutes, before Quick Releasing it.
Carefully give it a mix.Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.
Pulao or Pulav is a great option for packed lunches.When in hurry, pulav, yogurt and some pickle is enough to be a good hearty meal.
If you are serving in a more formal style or to guests, here is a list of other accompaniments that go very well with it
- Raita- Beetroot or Boondi
- Vegetarian Curry- Paneer Butter Masala or Aloo Gobhi or Palak Paneer
- Non Vegetarian Curry- Butter Chicken or Simple Chicken Curry
- Papad & Pickles
- A Simple Dessert like Kheer or Phirni or A Mango Pannacotta
Storing & Leftovers
This pulao can stay in the refrigerator for upto 3-4 days.Just store it in an air tight container.
You can freeze the pulav too.Again, use an air tight container or a zip lock bag for it.It should last upto 2-3 months in the freezer.
To eat, Thaw the frozen pulav overnight in the refrigerator.Microwave covered with a sprinkle of water or milk.
More Indian Instant Pot Rice Recipes
Here is a handy list of some more Indian Rice Recipes.These are made in our house on repeat!Some every couple of days.
If you make this delicious Instant Pot Vegetable Pulao , do leave me a comment.I would love to know your thoughts on it!
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or Clarified Butter or Oil
- 1 Onion sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste grate 1 inch ginger and 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2 Cup Mixed Vegetables* Beans,Carrots,Cauliflower & Potatoes
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice** washed
- 1.25 Cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala***
- Salt to Taste
- ½ Cup Mint Leaves Optional but add loads of flavour
- Heat the instant pot in SAUTE mode.
- Add ghee when hot.Add the whole spices- Cloves, Bay leaf and Cardamom.
- To this, add onion and Saute till it's brown/Golden.This will take 8-10 minutes.Cancel Saute.
- Add ginger and garlic paste,Salt,Garam Masala, Mint leaves, Rice and Water.Give it a mix.Make sure the rice is under the water.
- Place the vegetables on the top.Do not Stir.
- Close the lid.Select PRESSURE COOK at LOW for 6 minutes with the Pressure valve at SEALED position
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.