Instant Pot Pulao– Veggie loaded Rice Pilaf made with Basmati Rice,Vegetables and spices in the instant pot.
This dish can be many things- a simple lunch with just some yogurt on the side.It can be a part of a larger whole ,a fancier lunch of dinner along with a rich curry and a few sides.
It’s super easy to make this dish in an instant pot though you can make it in a deep pot or a pan too.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
Basmati Rice– You can also use other type of Rice like short grain rice.Swapping it with brown rice will over cook the vegetables but will still be great.
Vegetables-Any vegetable that can hold shape will do.You can also use frozen mixed vegetables.Carrots, beans, peas & potatoes work well with this dish.
Spices– Spices add a lot of flavour and depth to the pulav.Though they aren’t integral to the dish.Add what you have and skip what you dont have.
Aromats– Onions ,Ghee and Mint Leaves.This is the basic flavour profile of the pulav.Browned Onions in ghee and julienned Mint leaves.Again, if you can’t get mint, you can leave it out though it adds a lot to the dish.
How to make Instant Pot Pulao
The actual cooking of Instant Pot Pulao is quite simple.A few steps and thats it.
Step 1: Prep
Always wash your rice before cooking it.You don’t want to end up with muddy rice.
Prep the vegetables- If using frozen vegetables, you can add them straight to the pot.If you are using fresh vegetables, cut them slightly chunky, especially if you want them to hold their shapes.
Slice the onions as thin as you can.This will make the browing process faster.
Step 2: Saute
Heat the instant pot in the SAUTE mode.Once the HOT message is visible, Add ghee.Ghee will bring a lot of flavour to the rice but if you do not have it, add butter or oil.
Along with the ghee, add the whole spices- Cardamom, Cloves and Bay leaf.
Add the onions and saute them till they are brown.This step adds oodles of flavour.This is the only hands on step in making the Rice pilaf.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
Once your onions are the colour you want, add water, Ginger and garlic, salt, ground Garam Masala and mint leaves.
Add the rice and give it a mix.
Top this with vegetables and DO not mix.
Close the pot.Select PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL at LOW pressure and set the timer for 5 minutes.
Once the time is up,Let the pressure release naturally for 5-6 minutes, before Quick Releasing it.
Carefully give it a mix.Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.
More Indian Instant Pot Rice Recipes
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #instantpotdishes on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
You can also join our community of instant potters to discover share and connect with likeminded people.
- 1 tbsp Ghee or Clarified Butter or Oil
- 1 Onion sliced thin
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste grate 1 inch ginger and 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2 Cup Mixed Vegetables* Beans,Carrots,Cauliflower & Potatoes
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice** washed
- 1.25 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Garam Masala***
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 Cup Mint Leaves Optional but add loads of flavour
- Heat the instant pot in SAUTE mode.
- Add ghee when hot.Add the whole spices- Cloves, Bay leaf and Cardamom.
- To this, add onion and Saute till it's brown/Golden.This will take 8-10 minutes.Cancel Saute.
- Add ginger and garlic paste,Salt,Garam Masala, Mint leaves, Rice and Water.Give it a mix.Make sure the rice is under the water.
- Place the vegetables on the top.Do not Stir.
- Close the lid.Select PRESSURE COOK at LOW for 6 minutes with the Pressure valve at SEALED position
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.