Kesar Phirni is a delicious, insanely easy to make festive Indian Rice pudding which can be made with just 4 basic ingredients! Really!
What is Phirni?
Phirni is a North Indian dessert is made on almost every special occasions and festivals.
It's is actually a type of Kheer made with Coarsely ground rice and served chilled in earthen pots.Usually it's decorated with silver or gold filgiri foil sheet also called vark or varak in india along with slivered dry fruits.
How to make Kesar Phirni
Kesar phirni is made by boiling ground rice in Saffron flavoured milk.The whole process takes less than an hour to make.
Though the cooking process is easy, there is one step which is crucial - reducing the whole milk to a point that it's almost half it's starting volume.This step will reduce the water content in the milk and make the pudding extra creamy and thick.
Once your phirni is made, it has to be chilled, preferably in earthenware.
Different Kinds of Phirni
By changing the flavours, you can make a lot of different types of phirnis. Some great flavours that I personally love are -
Phirni can also be made dairy free by using almond milk or any other nut milk instead.If using nut milk, the milk doesn't need to be reduced.Also, swap out white sugar for jaggery if you are avoiding processed sugar.
Difference between Kheer and Phirni
Serving Kesar Phirni in Earthenware
Here are some more Indian desserts that you make
- Soak the rice in water for 2-4 hours.
- Take one pinch of Saffron and soak it in 2 tablespoon of warm milk.
- Using a thick bottomed pan or kadai, heat the milk.Add crushed Cardamom pods.Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes ,while stirring it occasionally.
- The milk should approximately reduce to half it's volume.Remove the cardamom pods.
- Grind the rice coarsely.(DO NOT MAKE A PASTE!)
- Add the sugar, soaked kesar and coarsely ground rice to the reduced milk.
- Give it all a stir.Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.Check the consistency and if the rice is cooked.
- Cook in open flame (without a lid or cover) to make it thicker.
- Let it cool slightly.Pour it into earthen pots for added flavour.Cover and chill overnight.
- Garnish with a few strands of kesar and slivered almonds and pistachios.