Seeds & Nuts Chikki or Brittle made with healthy Sunflower & Pumpkin Seeds,Nuts and Palm Sugar(Jaggery).This is a super healthy spin on the traditional Peanut Gajjak or Chikki and we are making lot’s of it this Diwali.
The one thing I miss the most being in Bangalore is the Chikki from North india.If I could, I would travel all the way there, find a roadside chikki cart and fill my bags to the brim with all the different kinds of chikkis.
This seed chikki, is my version of the peanut chikki but instead made with healthier seeds and nuts with just enough jaggery to hold it toghether.This is perfect for the days when I am craving to eat something sweet, without feeling too guilty about it.
How to make Seeds & Nuts Chikki
You won’t believe how easy it is to make a Brittle.All you have to do is mix jaggery syrup with the nuts and let it dry.
But hold your horses, there are a few things that can go awry with it if you don’t do it right.
First- the jaggery syrup has to be heated and bought to a consistency that when you drop a bit of it in water, it turns into a hard ball.This is called the Hard Ball Stage. Doing this test will tell you if your jaggery syrup is ready to be mixed with the seeds.
My tips for making the Jaggery syrup is
- Make sure you use a heavy bottomed pan.
- Make sure the heat isn’t too high.
- Test,test test- Keep a bowl of water nearby and keep testing every 30 seconds or so.The hardball consistency is literally 30 seconds before it starts to burn, so keep an eye and don’t leave it to do anything else.
- Strain- Most jaggery and palm sugar have impurities.Best way to work around this is to strain the syrup before mixing.
Now here is the recipe for Seeds & Nuts Chikki as promised.
- 3/4 Cup Mixed Seeds- Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Almonds and Pista- chopped up
- 1/2 Cup Jaggery powder- packed in
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder(optional)
- Toast the seeds in a pan on low flame while stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.Set aside. Repeat the same process with the nuts.
- Mix the nuts and seeds in a bowl and keep ready.Prepare a plate/flat surface by greasing the back of it with ghee.Keep the rolling pin and a piece of butter paper handy.
- Heat the 1/2 cup jaggery with water and cardamom powder on low heat in a pan till it starts to melt and becomes a syrup.
- Keep a bowl full of water to check the stage of the jaggery syrup.It should reach the hard ball stage.Hard ball stage is when a drop of the jaggery syrup, dropped in water, will turn into a ball and harden instantly.
- Strain the syrup over the nuts and seeds.Mix together.
- Working fast, before the mixture cools down.Take the mixture on the greased plate.Put the butter paper over it and flatten it using a rolling pin it to a thickness you want.
- Cut it while its still hot into squares or diamonds of required size.Let it cool.
- Once it hardens, store in a airtight container