Ragi Laddu made with Finger millet flour, Jaggery, Peanuts and sesame seeds. Healthy Diwali Sweet with all the indulgence and none of the guilt.
These are also a perfect snack for Kids- high in nutrient and easy to eat.The reason I say this is because Ragi is a Wonder Millet- you have to read about it to believe it.Here is my post on how and why you should be eating Millets.
These Ragi Ladoo with Jaggery stay good for around 1 week at room temperature and 2 weeks refrigerated.They are a great make ahead snack which can be popped into the tiffin box without any thought.
It’s also a great healthy diwali sweet recipe.It’s so much better than store bought questionnable desserts.While you are at it, you should also try my Ragi Namak Paare this diwali – they are baked not fried!
How to make Ragi Laddu
Finger Millet Ladoo Ingredients
This ladoo has everything good.Also, there are swaps to make it Dairy Free,Gluten Free and Nut Free.
- Ragi also called Finger Millet or Nachni Flour
- Desiccated Coconut – Dry Unsweetened Coconut
- Jaggery or Palm Sugar or White Sugar
- Clarified Butter or Ghee
- Nuts- Peanuts or Almonds
- Seeds – Pumpkin Seeds or Melon Seeds
- Cardamom Powder
Step by Step details
Roast all the Nuts and Seeds
Roast all the Nuts and Seeds separately on low flame.This can take 12-15 minutes each, so i recommend doing this on 2-3 pans toghether to save time.This step is super important- it will not only make the shelf life of the ladoos longer but also improve the taste.
Roast the Ragi Flour
Toast the Ragi flour, while stirring occasionally, till it smells nutty and fragarant.Should take 15-20 minutes.This step is important- it will cook the Ragi flour.If not done well, the ladoos will taste raw.
Blend the Nuts & Jaggery
Blend the Nuts,Coconut and Jaggery to make a coarse powder.If your blender is big enough, add the toasted ragi flour and ghee to it too, and blend it more.
If not,Mix the Ragi flour, nuts mixture and Ghee in a bowl.
Roll into Balls
Coat your hands with ghee, roll the mixture into lime sized balls.Garnish with sliced almonds.
Here are some more Ragi Recipes for you
Expert Tips ,Tricks and Alternatives
Roasting the Finger Millet Flour– The slower and longer you roast the ragi flour , better the taste.This step cooks the flour and also makes the shelf life of the ladoos longer.
Gluten Free Ragi Ladoos– Ragi flour is gluten free.This ladoo is Gluten Free naturally.
Vegan Nachni Ladoo– You can make this recipe dairy Free by replacing Ghee with coconut oil.
Nut Free Ragi Ladoo– To make this nut free, substitute the peanuts in the recipe with Seeds.
Here are some more Diwali Recipes for you
- Toast the Ragi Flour till it smells nutty- 15-20 minutes on a low heat.
- In another pan, toast the desiccated coconut- takes about 5-8 minutes.
- Toast the peanuts.Remove the husk once they cool down.
- Also toast the sesame seeds lightly.
- Add the desiccated coconut, jaggery, sesame seeds and peanuts in the blender.Make a course powder.
- Add the Ragi flour along with Ghee and Cardamom to the blender.Whizz is all together.
- Coat your hands with little ghee and roll the mixture into lime sized balls.