Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes - Rosemary & Garlic Crispy Smashed Potatoes made in the air fryer or Oven. This dish is such a great thanksgiving side! You can also serve this as an appetizer.
Who doesn't love potatoes? I can eat them all day..all week long! But crispy fried potatoes? Those are my favorite kinds!
And these air fryer garlic smashed potatoes are so cwiiiispy ! The potato skin crisps up and the inside remain soft and fluffly.You can also make them in the oven.
It's the best of ALL worlds!
I make them when I am hosting a dinner or throwing a party with drinks and finger foods. Besides this recipe, do give Honey Garlic Potatoes also a try. They are delicious!
Potatoes are also quite filling and what's more...Kids love them!
I have tested this recipe with Boiled potatoes, air fryer baked potatoes and microwaved potatoes. You get the best air fryer smashed potatoes using the boiling method.
If you want to know the why and the how's, I will explain in detail below.
Ingredients to make Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Here is what you will need to make the best crispy smashed potatoes!
- Small Potatoes - 1 inch
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
Potatoes- You can use any kind of baby potatoes.I like to use atleast 1-1.5 inch in diameter(length ) potatoes. They are big enough to get soft inside and crispy on the outside.Smaller potatoes can loose the softness.
How to make Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Here are the steps to make super fluffy baby potatoes in the air fryer.
Step 1: Prep
Make sure you scrub and clean the potatoes well before cooking.You don't want sandy bits in your crispy potatoes.
Mix the butter, Rosemary, olive oil, garlic powder and salt in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave till the butter has melted.
Step 2: Cook the Potatoes
You can cook the potatoes by microwaving them, Air frying them or by boiling them.
The best method is the boil them.It takes more time and effort but it makes the fluffiest and crispiest smashed potatoes.
The fastest method is the microwave them.You can check the details after this section.
You want the potatoes to be soft so you can smash them easily.
Step 3: Smash the Potatoes
Use a glass or a potato masher to smash the potato.Make sure to not make it too thin.
You want to flatten it to about 5 cm thickness.That way there is enough potato inside for it to be soft while being crispy on the outside.
Step 4: Air Fry or Bake
Melt the butter,Rosemary Olive Oil, garlic powder, salt and ground chilli.
Brush the potatoes with butter.
Place the potatoes in the air fryer. Air fry for 10-12 minutes. Alternatively you can bake them in the baking sheet for 20-22 minutes at 180 C or 365F.
Open the air fryer, brush the potatoes with the butter again.Air fry for another 5 minutes.
Remove. Serve immediately.
Comparison of Potato cooking methods
All you need to do is microwave scrubbed potatoes in a covered pot for 5 minutes.Make sure you pierce them..or they can burst because of internal pressure.
While this is the fastest method, it gets the least points for taste.I only make this when i am low on patience and cooking just for myself.
Here are the Final takeaways from microwave+ Air frying Method
- Fastest method. Takes a total of 15 minutes start to finish.
- Air fried potatoes which are microwaved first, come out dry and chewy as compared to other methods.
- They are not seasoned evenly
- Sometimes have a bitter aftertaste.
Air Fry Potatoes
As the name suggests, to cook the potatoes, you air fry them for 20 minutes in the air fryer before smashing them and air frying again.
For this method too, make sure you pierce the potatoes.Using this method, you do everything in one cooking method.Thats the reason its simpler.
Here is whats noteworthy using the double Air fryer method
- Easier, lesser clean up.
- Takes as much time as boiling potatoes.So no win as per time
- Fluffier and crispier potatoes than the microwaved method.
- Do not get seasoned evenly.Especially as compared to the boiling method.
Though this method takes more work, the potatoes come out fluffy and soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.Thats exactly what we want.
This is my chosen method. Especially when i want to impress!
- The best taste and texture. Crispy on the outside and fluffy inside
- They taste amazing even after cooling down.
- They also remain crispy.
Variations and Substitutes
Instead of seasoning it with Rosemary, you can also try the following combinatios
- Indian Chaat Smashed Potatoes- Ghee and Tamarind chutney.
- Spicy Asian Smashed Potatoes - Honey, Soy and Chili flakes
- Lime & Chili Seasoning
You can also use smoked chilli instead of paprika to give it another level of flavour.
How to serve Smashed Rosemary Potatoes
You can serve these potatoes as a side and appetizer.
For thanksgiving or Christmas- Serve it along with Roast turkey, Cranberry Sauce and a Pie or Cake.
For a casual Party- Serve it along with dip of choice. I recommend my 5 minute Yogurt Dip or the Roasted Pepper Feta Dip.
Here is a Quick Thanksgiving round up of recipes
If you make these smashed potatoes, do leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you.
- 1 Pound Small Potatoes 500 gms
- 2 tablespoon Butter Vegan Option- Margarine or Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary Or use 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Chilli
- Prep- Wash and Scrub the potatoes well.
- In a bowl, add the butter, oil, garlic powder, Rosemary, chili, and 1 teaspoon salt. Microwave it for 1 minute.
Cooking the Potatoes - Choose your Cooking option
- Boil - Boil the potatoes in 4-6 cups of water with 1 tablespoon of salt for 20-25 minutes. Drain when a knife can slide through them easily.
- Air fry- Add the potatoes to the air fryer basket and air fry at 180 C or 365 F for 20-25 minutes. If the knife can slide through them easily, they are ready for the next step. (You can use the same method and bake them in the oven too)
- Microwave - Microwave the potatoes in a covered bowl for 5-6 minutes till a knife can slide through them easily.
Smashing the Potatoes
- Once the potatoes are cooked and tender, place them in a tray.
- Using a glass(as in the video) or a potato masher, press the potato down smashing them.
- They should be about 5 cm thick. Do not make them too thin. They will lose the fluffiness inside.
- Brush them with the Butter mixture.
- If you choose air fry option, proceed with these directions
- Place them in the air fryer basket. Be gentle.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes* till the skin has crisped up and browned.
- If you choose the baking option, proceed with these directions
- Preheat the oven at 180 C or 365 F.
- Bake the Potatoes in the oven for 15-20 minutes till the potato skins are crisp and browned.
- Potatoes - You can use any kind of small potatoes here. Do make sure they are at least 1 inch in diameter. Red, Fingerling, and potatoes work very well in this recipe.
- To make this dish Vegan & Plant Based - Use Margarine or Olive Oil instead of butter.