Sweet Potato Wedges made in the Air fryer -Amazingly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Better than the fried version, Except these are healthy, and completely addicting!
TASTE: Salty, slightly sweet, perfect sweet potato wedges
TEXTURE: Crispy edges, Soft and tender inside
EASE: Super Easy!
PROS: No or minimal oil!
CONS: They are addictive and you will be overmaking these!
Here is what we will do!
- Cut the Sweet Potato into wedges
- Toss in seasoning & Oil( or make it oil free)
- Air Fry!
Whether you are hosting or just watching a movie or just want to add a quick veggie to your dinner, this recipe is perfect for all of that!
Also check out our collection of more than 50 Air fryer Appetizers and finger foods
Why we love Air frying Sweet Potato Wedges
Is there any other way really? I haven't looked back from air frying sweet potatoes since I started about 6-7 years back.
Here is why we love making them again and again!
- No Deep frying
- They come out so crispy, almost like they were deep fried in tonnes of oil
- Ready from start to finish in 15 minutes.
- A quick Snack and a veggie side that everyone loves!
Ingredients for Crispy Sweet Potato Wedges
All you need are 3 ingredients and just 2 if you are going oil free
- Sweet Potato
Pick smaller sweet potatoes when making sweet potato wedges.
The bigger sweet potatoes are a nightmare to cut! Especially when cutting into wedges. Plus they make the best sized wedges which aren't too big that they will remain soft or too small which will have burnt edges. Though those burnt edges have their own charm.
You can use the same process to make regular potato wedges too.
You can go with just salt if that's your jam.My child preferes is simply with salt.
Or you can try any one of these
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- BBQ rubs
- Cajun seasoning
HOT TIP- Make these with leftover BBQ sauce. They are so so GOOD!! I always toss the wedges in the homemade BBQ sauce I make to make the BBQ chicken Wings. So so good!
You can make these without any oil but the seasoning doesn't stick very well to those.
I like to drizzle a little oil just to get a better texture and taste.
If you are on a diet or limiting your fat content, you can use an oil spray instead.
How to Cut Sweet Potato into wedges
Cut the sweet potato from the middle into two halves. Use your weight on top of the knife to help you get through it.
Halve if one more time.
Now angle your knife to get 3 wedges out of the sweet potato piece.
If this is too difficult, you can just cut the sweet potato into regular fries.
How to Air Fry Sweet Potato Wedges
The only "Work" in making these wedges is cutting them. If you can do that, then you are good to go!
HOT TIP- Sometimes, I cut the sweet potato into wedges and freeze it. That way I can have them instantly on my plate. Without putting in any work.
This especially helps when I get hungry during snack time.
Step 1: Cut & Prep
Preheat the air fryer by heating it at 200 C or 400F for 3-5 minutes.
Meanwhile, Cut the sweet potato as shown above.
Drizzle olive oil and your choice of seasoning. I have used cajun seasoning.
Toss to coat.
Step 2: Air Fry
Add the wedges to the preheated air fryer.
Air fry for 15-18 minutes.
The time will vary based on how thick your wedges are and the amount of wedges in the air fryer.
For this particular batch, it took me 16 minutes to get them to be crispy and caramelized.
Serving Air fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
Here are some dips that work very well with these potato wedges
- Good old ketchup!
- Sriracha Aioli
- Yogurt Dip
Air Fryer Tips
Air fryer is a super simple kitchen appliance but here are some tips to make cooking in it a breeze!
- For crispier finish, air fry in smaller batches.
- Adding just a bit of oil , takes the texture from meh to amazing. Almost like fried food. So instead of going no oil, use a spray of oil.
- Keep the air fryer away from the wall. It needs to cycle air to be able to cook the food.
- To clean the air fryer, fill hot water & a tablespoon of dish soap to the inner basket. Srcub with a non stick friendly sponge.
If you make these addictive air fryer Sweet Potato wedges, leave me a comment and a rating. I would love to hear your thoughts on it!
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 1 teaspoon Oil Optional
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning or Salt
- Pre heat the air fryer at 200C or 400F for 3-5 minutes.
- Wash the Sweet Potato.You can peel it or not.(Skin gets super crispy and delish while air frying)
- Cut the sweet potato into wedges. Check the photos & video to understand how.
- Toss it with oil and seasoning of choice. I have used Homemade Cajun Seasoning. Check notes for recipe.
- Add the wedges to the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 13-15 minutes. Shaking midway.
- If the Sweet Potatoes are large, you might need to either cut it smaller, into thinner wedges or increase the amount of time till they are crispy outside and soft inside.
Seasoning IdeasYou can use
- Cajun Seasoning
- Lemon Pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Curry Powder & Salt
- Indian Chaat Masala
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- ½ tablespoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika