Sweet Potato and Quinoa Burger - Vegan and Gluten Free sweet potato, kale and quinoa shallow fried patties. Absolutely perfect to stuff inside burger buns or pita or a low carb version with a few leaves of iceberg lettuce.
I want you to think veggie burger for a minute. Very similar, but this version is made with sweet potatoes! You can call them what you want though…patties, fritters or veggie burgers. Regardless, they are full of flavor and you’re going to be blown away by the taste and how easy it is to make these!These are amazing whether you eat them like tikkis or tucked between buns.
The sweetness from the sweet potato compliments the earthy flavors from the kale and quinoa. Made with only the simplest ingredients, this recipe is perfect for any weeknight dinner or a Sunday picnic with the family.
Combining kale, sweet potato, and quinoa is such a winning flavor combination. You’ve got the sweetness from the sweet potato that compliments the earthy flavors from the kale and quinoa extremely well.
Really, it only takes 4 main ingredients to make these Sweet Potato and Quinoa Burgers – kale, sweet potato, quinoa and olive oil. The rest of the ingredients are just flavorings which can be changed per your liking and preference.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Quinoa Burgers
There are only two steps before you dive into the frying of the patties. So let’s jump right into it, shall we?
First, you’re going to cook the sweet potato. I have made this recipe with boiled sweet potato, baked and diced sweet potato and a whole roast sweet potato. You’re going to get the best texture and taste from roasting a whole sweet potato with the skin on. Once the sweet potato is done, go ahead and peel and mash it up in a bowl.
Next, you’re have to cook the quinoa per the packet instructions. Leaving the quinoa a little el dente gives a nice texture to the patties.
In a bowl, combine the mashed sweet potato, cooked quinoa, chopped kale, dried thyme, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
Take about 2 Tablespoons of the mixture and form into patties. Heat a non stick pan and a teaspoon of oil. Cook the patties 2 minutes per side until they are crisp and golden brown. These patties have a wonderfully crisp and golden exterior with a super soft interior.
Every bite of these Sweet Potato and Kale Patties will hit your senses with a mix of sweet, salty and earthy flavors.
Pro Tips & Tricks
- Do you have an Instant Pot? You can cook the quinoa in your instant pot with 2 cups of water.
- Let’s talk about switching up the ingredients. This recipe screams versatility! Thyme goes famously well with sweet potato and kale but you can give these patties an indian twist by adding a teaspoon of your favorite curry powder instead. You could even give these patties a Moroccan twist by flavoring them with some fennel seeds and serving it with a dollop of yogurt on top.
Dietary details of Kale Quinoa patties
- Gluten Free
- Complex Carb
These also freeze beautifully.
What to Pair with Sweet Potato and Quinoa Burgers
Oh the possibilities are endless!!! My son likes to gobble them up with ketchup (yeah, don’t ask!) but I love to stuff these inside gluten free pita bread or just a few leaves of fresh iceberg lettuce. You could even make burgers with these patties gluten free buns.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for about 40 minutes. Peel and discard the skin. Mash the sweet potato.
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa as per packet instructions. I cooked it in my instant pot with 2 cups of water.
- In a bowl, add the mashed sweet potato, cooked quinoa, chopped kale, dried thyme, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Take about 2 Tablespoons of the mixture and form into patties.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Add a teaspoon of oil. Cook the patties 2 minutes per side until they are crisp and golden brown.
Looking for more Amazing Quinoa Recipes?
Moist dark chocolate cake made with cooked quinoa.This is a dairy free, gluten free ABSOLUTELY delicious chocolate cake.
Easy weeknight dinner recipe made in UNDER 30 minutes with both stove top and Instant Pot methods.
Super yummy salad with my favorite Balsamic vinegar and shallots dressing!