Air fryer Cheese stuffed mushrooms - A Cheesy, Melty, Gooey Appetizer. Single Bite finger food that your guests will not be able to resist!
Serve it as an appetizer or eat it like a low carb snack
TASTE: Gooey, Melt in your mouth, Cheesy mushrooms
APPEARANCE: like a fine dining appetizer
PROS: Delicious, quick and a great vegetarian appetizer for game nights
CONS: The mushrooms can move inside the air fryer and the filling can topple
Diet : Keto, Low Carb & Oil free!
No waste vegetarian appetizer with ZERO waste. We use everything!
These are so so good!! If you love mushrooms, then this is the appetizer for you!
The mushrooms are soft and umami and the cheese mixture inside is soft and oh so cheesy!
And because of cream cheese, they stay soft and gooey even on cooling down.
Here is what we will do!
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms
- Chop up the stalks
- Make the filling with cream cheese, garlic powder, scallions, salt
- Stuff the mushrooms & Air fry!
Speaking of cheesy appetizers , do give my Air Fryer Buffalo Shrimp a try too! Air-fryer is a real game changer in the appetizer space! I haven't fried a single french fry since i got my air fryer 10 years ago!
Also check out our collection of more than 50 Air fryer Appetizers and finger foods
Why we love Stuffed Mushrooms
We are all fans of anything cheese and mushrooms! but these cheese stuffed mushroom caps are just so so addictive!
Here is why we love making them again and again!
- Can be prepped ahead
- Perfect one bite finger food
- A great Vegetarian option
- Cheap & quick with only a hand-full of ingredients
- Kid friendly
- Full of veggies!
Here is what you will need to make these cheesy mushroom caps
- Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Cream Cheese
I have used button mushrooms to make these. Not only are they easily available and light on pocket, they work very well in this recipe.
Quick Tip on mushrooms
- Never soak mushrooms. They are like little sponges and they soak in a lot of water. This makes them difficult to brown.
- To brown mushrooms, cook them on high heat.
We love mushrooms. Our favorite way to use mushrooms is in a cheesy omlette. It's my sons go to breakfast. Apart from that this Instant Pot Mushroom Rice , Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto & this quick Pasta in Mushroom Butter Garlic Sauce are also our favorites.
Here are some common pantry substitutes for the ingredients used in this recipe.
Garlic Powder- Use minced garlic instead
Scallions- Use cilantro or chives or simply onion powder
Cheddar Cheese- You can use any other melty cheese too. Processed cheese will also work well.
Bread Crumbs- Regular or panko breadcrumbs.Shreded coconut & almond will work too.
How to make Stuffed Mushrooms in Air fryer
Remove the Mushroom Stalk
Run the mushrooms under water(Do not soak!!) and wipe them.
To remove the stems of mushroom, just use your hands.
Push it with your thumb while holding the mushroom with rest of your fingers. I find this the easiest and the best way to make sure I have the most amount of space for the filling.
If you do end up breaking it halfway, like I do many many times, use a knife or a sharp spoon to scoop out the rest of the stem from the mushroom.
Make the Cheese filling
Chop the mushroom stems into small bits.
Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, scallions(green onions), sriracha or chili flakes.
Give it a good mix. I like using a fork to do this.
Fill the Mushrooms
Now use a small teaspoon to fill the mushrooms.
If you want, you can flatten the tops after filling and then place another final scoop on top.
Top it up with bread crumbs and a little bit of cheddar cheese.
Place them in the air fryer basket. Spray oil if you want. It will help in browning.
Air fry at 200C for 10 minutes.
No preheating required.
Do not shake the mushrooms midway. They might topple and you will loose all the cheese filling.
One more absolutely smashing vegetable air fryer dish is this air fryer asparagus - Ottolenghi style! Do give it a try!
How to serve
Serve along with a dipping sauce. No need to go fancy, it tastes great with plain old ketchup too!
I usually keep a small plate with napkins, toothpicks and small forks on the side so it's easy to pick and pop in the mouth.
Tips & Recipe Notes
Here are some quick things that will help you make this recipe better!
- Do not soak the mushrooms even for 2 minutes. They will absorb way too much water and ooze out way too much water after.
- The filling of these stuffed mushrooms is just cheese and mushroom stems. To make it a meatier bite, you can add grated paneer, feta, cooked grated veggies, cooked meat.
- They mushrooms do deflate a bit after cooking. And that's okay!
- If you are making a big batch of these, I prefer baking them instead of air frying. Simply because my air fryer is small. If you have one of those slide in big air fryer, you can make big batches of appetizer in it.
Storing & Freezing
This appetizer can be prepped 1-2 days before you actually have to serve it. I hate going in and out of kitchen when I have a party. So I always fill the mushrooms up and keep them in the refrigerator.
That way I just have to pop them in the air fryer in the last minute.
You can store the cooked stuffed mushroom in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. It does get a little soggy but its delicious still.
Freezing - I wouldn't suggest freezing this appetizer in raw and cooked form. The mushrooms tend to become soggy and rubbery at the same time once thawed.
Reheating - Once refrigerated or cold , you can refresh the mushrooms by microwaving them for 10-15 seconds. Or you can also re air fry them for 2 minutes. They will get all gooey melty again!
The filling of mushrooms and the mushrooms themselves can be switched up in so many different ways!
Other Mushrooms- You can use portobello or cremini mushrooms too
Bacon - Mix cooked bacon bits into the cheese filling.
Sausage - Mix finely chopped sausage into the filling.This will give it a good body too
Ground Chicken/Lamb - Cook the chicken/lamb with a bit or oil.Mix in the cheese filling.
Spicy - Add chopped up with jalapenos!
More Air fryer Appetizers
Air fryer Hasselback Potatoes with Garlic
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes with Rosemary & Garlic
Air Fry Pita Chips
Air Fryer Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers (Cream Cheese)
Air Fryer Buffalo Shrimp
Airfryer Honey Chilli Edamame
If you used my air fryer cheesy stuffed mushrooms, drop me a note. I would love to hear your thoughts. Also! do give us a rating. It really help me reach people.
- 250 gms Mushrooms
- 2 ounces Cheddar keep 1 teaspoon separate for later
- 2 oucnes Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoon Scallions
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Srirach Hot sauce or chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Bread Crumbs
- ½ teaspoon Oil Optional
- Wash and wipe the mushrooms.
- Use your thumb to tip the mushroom stem out of the mushroom cavity.
- Chop up half the stems very finely
- Add cream cheese, cheddar, green onions(scallion) , garlic powder and sriracha. Give it a mix.
- Using a teaspoon, fill the mushrooms with the cheese filing.
- Top it with breadcrumbs and more cheddar cheese.
- Air fry for 10 minutes at 200C or 400F.
- Garnish with more scallions and serve hot.
- Button Mushrooms - Cremini or Portobello Mushrooms
- Scallions- Use cilantro or chives or simply onion powder
- Cheddar Cheese- You can use any other melty cheese too. Processed cheese will also work well.
- Bread Crumbs- Regular or panko breadcrumbs. Shredded coconut & almonds will work too.
- Sriracha - Chili flakes, smoked ground chili, ketchup, hot sauce
Frequently Asked Questions
To clean the mushrooms, instead of soaking them in water, run them quickly under water, taking just 2-3 seconds. After that wipe the mushrooms to make them dry.
Bake/air fry/ cook the stuffed mushrooms at high temperature.
10 minutes at 200C /400F is enough to cook medium to big sized button or cremini mushrooms
Both! Always wash the mushrooms in running water for 2-5 seconds. After which wipe them with a cloth or kitchen napkin.