Instant Pot Mushroom Parmesan Rice- Buttery Cheesy Parmesan rice with caramelised mushrooms, garlic and parsley made in pressure cooker within 30 minutes.
One pot meal which doesn’t need anything else!And it makes a wonderful packed lunch option because the rice stays moist and cheesy even when it’s cold.
It’s a kind of a dish that can be made when entertaining.Especially when entertaining a huge crowd.This with a big batch of Italian Chicken Cacciatore a few store bought chips and a simple yogurt dip.And we are ready to party! Everything can be made ahead and heated just before serving.
Throw in this chocolate mousse and I promise, you will be the best hostess ever!
How to Make Mushroom Parmesan Rice
Step 1: Heat the instant pot using the saute function.
Step 2: Add oil and butter along with garlic.Let it infuse for 10-20 seconds.
Step 3: Add onions and cook till translucent- About 2 minutes
Step 4:Add the sliced mushrooms and mix to coat with oil-butter.Let it brown for 12-14 minutes without moving it around too much.
Step 5: Add 1.5 Cups of water(check tips for softer rice) and deglaze.Make sure to do this well to avoid the burn setting.Add the rice, salt and pepper.Mix it all up.
Step 6: Cancel the saute setting.Select PRESSURE COOK on high for 5 minutes in the SEALING position.
Step 7: Let the pressure drop naturally for 10 minutes, Quick release the valve after that.Open the lid, add the parmesan and fresh parsley.Give it a mix.
Step 8:Keep warm for 10 minutes before serving.
This Instant pot recipe is
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free and Vegan- Omit butter and replace parmesan with Nutritional Yeast
Variations of Instant Pot Mushroom Parmesan Rice
Here are some variations.
- First variation is to make it in a pot
- Add other vegetables like broccoli,spinach and baby corn
- Use brown rice – the cooking time will change to 20 minutes then.
- Use cheddar cheese to make the rice extra creamy
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Browning the mushrooms will release extra flavour and taste.Make sure you do not move the mushroom around too much.
- Add the cheese after the pressure cooking step is over to avoid BURN message
- Also! more the cheese and butter the better.lol.like you didn’t know that already.
- Basmati Rice- I have used long grain basmati rice in this recipe.The ratio of 1 cup rice to 1.5 cup water will result in a rice with slight bite to it.If you like your rice softer, add 2 cups of water to the rice instead.
Here are some more Instant Pot recipes that you will love
- Using the SAUTE mode, heat the instant pot.
- Once HOT, add the butter and oil.Add Garlic and saute for 20 seconds.
- Add the onions and saute till translucent.
- Tip in the mushrooms and mix to coat it with oil-butter.Let it brown- without stirring it too often.
- Add water and de glaze.
- Now add the rice and salt.Close the lid.
- Cancel SAUTE, select PRESSURE COOK on HIGH,set the timer to 5 minutes and the valve to sealed postion.10 NPR – Release the pressure after 10 minute of natural release.
- Add parmesan,chopped fresh parsley,pepper and mix.Cover and keep warm for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Here are a few quick pointers on the instant pot.
I use the 6 qts DUO Instant Pot and all my recipes are tested on the same.
Here are a few quick need to knows while using an Instant Pot.
Saute & Pressure Cook Setting – These are the most used settings on the instant pot. Pressure Cook setting can also be called Manual on your multicooker.
Minimum liquid– There is a minimum liquid requirement for most instant pots. For a 6 qts IP – 1 cup is the minimum liquid required as per the manufacturer.
Burn Message- If the food starts burning this notice pops up on the instant pot and cuts off any further cooking. This message can also come if you have used the SAUTE setting before and not deglazed the pan.or if you use a bigger 8 qts pot.The minimum requirement of the liquid changes and hence you could potentially get it while using it. To solve this, add about ¼ cup of more water than the recipe calls for.
While using certain sauces like tomato sauce or cheese sauces, you may get burn message because they are more viscous than water and burn easily.To solve this, again add ¼ cup of water to the bottom of the pot first, then add the sauce and proceed with the rest of the recipe. You could also use pot in pot method for these recipes.
Pressure Build Up
Most recipes only mention the time setting you need to use while cooking in the instant pot.In actual, the total time taken to cook is time taken for the pressure build up+ time taken for actual cooking + time taken for the steam to release.
Quick Release(QR) ,Natural Pressure Release(NPR) & 10 minute Natural Pressure Release(10NPR)
Quick release(QR)– when you release the pressure valve, as soon as the cooking time is up.This release hot steam, so make sure you are careful while doing this.
Natural Pressure Release(NPR)– You open the pot only after the pressure in the IP is released on its own. This could vary depending on the Pressure setting, amount of food, size of the pot.
10 Natural Pressure Release(10NPR)
Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes after which you Quick Release the pressure.
What not to do in Instant Pot
-Use Instant Pot without any liquid in the pot.
-Open the lid without the releasing the pressure first.
-Keep the Instant pot on the stove- there have been a lot of instances where the instant pot has gotten burnt from the bottom on accident.
-Dump food in the instant pot without the inner pot.
-Fill the pressure cooker up till the brim.