Instant Pot Kheer – Traditional Indian Rice Pudding made in less than 30 minutes.Super Quick and hands off method of making the Best Indian Kheer ever!
I feel like I use too many adjectives but then how do I tell you how awesome this dish is! I mean it can easily rival any cult Indian dessert except I made it at home within 30 minutes out of which 29 minutes were hands free.
This Instant Pot Kheer will win over even the staunch kheer haters..And I have many living with me so my proclamation is really tried and tested!
Did you ever think you could have a great dessert without hovering over the pot, sweating your A** off? No right? Nothing good comes from being lazy. EXCEPT this!
This extremely lazy, dump it all and forget about it dessert is the best lazy thing ever!Obviously don’t tell your guests that though.You want them to think that you laboured for hours to make this special dessert for them.Lol.
This traditional Indian Kheer is crazy crazy good! It’s thick, rich,slightly caramelised
When Kheer or rice pudding is made in the instant pot using the dump it all method, it tends to change its colour from white to slightly brown.Thats because the sugars inside the post get caramelised.This frankly gives this rice pudding extra depth of flavour.
How to make Kheer in Instant Pot
Step 1- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
Step 2- Dump the soaked rice, milk,condensed milk, cardamom,Saffron,almonds,pistachios and sugar in the inner pot.
Step 3- Pressure Cook for 20 minutes on high in Manual/Pressure cook mode with vent in SEALED position.Let the pressure escape naturally.
If your kheer is thin, use the sauce mode to reduce it to your likeness.Add more milk if it turns out to be very thick.
Kheer can be flavoured in many ways.You can go all out and put everything or choose what you like.Here are some flavour options.
- Rose Water
How to Serve Kheer
I have always liked my kheer chilled and my dad likes it hot.Everybody has their personal preference.Some like kheer served with halwa(like dad) though in my opinion that’s an over kill!
Toppings on Kheer
- Rose Petals
- Fruits like pomogranate,mango
- Cinnamon dusting
Tips and Tricks to make Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- Use good quality Saffron and Cardamom as they are the main flavours here.
- I suggest Basmati rice but you can use your normal everyday rice too.
- When you first open the instant pot, you will assume the kheer has split but give it all a good mix and you will see the magic!
- Add everything to the inner pot of instant pot.
- Close the lid.Choose the Manual or Pressure Cook option.
- Pressure cook for 20 minutes on HIGH with the steam release handle in SEALING position.
- Let the steam escape naturally(NPR- Natural Pressure Release)
- Open the lid,give it a mix and serve hot or cold!