Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta – Easy Chicken Parm made by pressure cooking thin slices of Chicken thighs, Marinara sauce, penne pasta and water – topped with grated mozzarella Cheese and parmesan.
A one Pot Meal, ready in less than 30 minutes with just 10 minutes of active time.
Why make Pasta in Instant Pot?
Have you guys tried to make pasta in the instant pot yet? No? It’s a GAME CHANGER!
No stirring the pot, no waiting for the pasta to boil, no washing two different pots and no straining the pasta! Literally all pasta making pain points obliterated!
It’s virtually effortless!
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
Ingredients for Chicken Parm
Simple ingredients –
- Marinara Sauce
- Italian Seasoning
- Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh herbs
Cooking Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
step by step.Watch the Video above to understand visually.
- Saute Onions and Garlic– Switch on the instant pot, once hot, add garlic and onions.Cook till pink or translucent.
- Saute Chicken– Add the chicken and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the liquids & Pasta– Tip in the water, marinara sauce, salt,pepper,italian herbs and the pasta
- PRESSURE COOK-Pressure cook on HIGH for 7 minutes.(Read the next section to understand how to make it with other pasta)
- Quick Release-At the end of 7 minutes,Quick release, add mozzarella and parmesan cheese, cover and KEEP WARM for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with herbs-Garnish with fresh herbs and serve
Variations Parmesan Chicken
You can change up the recipe by
Changing the kind of pasta
The formula for Pasta is
Time= (time on the package)/2+1 minute
I would suggest you use bite sized pastas like Rotini or Campanelle pasta. So you can use different pastas but have to change the time accordingly.
Bare in mind, Using pastas which has a lesser that 6 minute of cooking time will leave the chicken undercooked.Similarly using a pasta which has a long time like whole wheat pasta- will leave the chicken overcooked.
So choose accordingly!
Add Vegetables like Spinach, mushroom and Zuchinni
Keep in mind that vegetables like mushroom and Zuchinni will release water.Do not add more liquid to compensate.
Make it Keto- by Skipping the pasta
You can increase the amount of chicken and skip on the pasta to make this Keto.
Make it Dairy Free by using nutritional yeast and cashew cream instead.
If you are allergic to dairy, use nutritional yeast or cashew cream instead of parmesan.
FAQs for Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Can this chicken parmesan be made with any other pasta
Yes.You can virtually make it with any pasta that has a similar cooking time as penne.
Can this chicken parmesan be made Keto
Yes.Skip the pasta and reduce the water to 1/4 Cup.Follow rest of the recipe as it is.
Can this Chicken parmesan be made without the pasta
Yes! You can just Skip the pasta and add only 1/4 Cup water instead.Follow rest of the recipe as it is.
Is this chicken casserole gluten free?
If can be made Gluten Free if you use a gluten free pasta or leave it out altogether.
Can I make the chicken parmesan with chicken breast
Yes you can replace the chicken thigh with chicken breast.
Can this Casserole be made with Whole Wheat pasta
Whole wheat pasta takes longer to cook than normal Durham wheat pasta.Change the cooking time to “Time in the package”/2 + 1 minute and slice the chicken pieces thicker.
Here are some more instant pot recipes you might love
Here are some Pasta recipes that you should make!
- Switch the instant pot ON in SAUTE mode.
- Once HOT, add olive oil.
- Add Garlic and Onions.Saute till translucent- about 2 minutes
- To this, add the Chicken and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add water and deglaze- dislogde all the brown bits by scraping the bottom of the pan(watch video to understand).This step is important to avoid the burn message.
- Add the marinara sauce,salt,pepper and italian herbs.
- Tip in the pasta.Gently press to make sure it's inside the liquid.Cancel Saute
- Close the lid.Select PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL at High for 7 minutes with the valve sealed.
- Quick Release once the time is up.Open the pot.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs and chesse- mozerella and Parmesan.Close the lid and KEEP WARM for 5-10 minutes to help melt the cheese.
- Open the pot,add more herbs and serve hot.