Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice- Whole Chicken Legs,Brown Rice and Veggies, this is the ULTIMATE one pot meal thats healthy and delicious!
It’s got everything- complete with Rice, Veggies and protein- chicken in this case.
If you are looking to use white rice, you can check out my other instant pot rice recipes.
Usually brown rice takes a long time to cook.The average instant pot pressure cooking time is about 20-22 minutes which is too much for most chicken cuts especially for boneless chicken breasts and small pieces.
To make this dish in one shot, we have used bone in whole chicken legs here.At the end of the cooking, the chicken is super soft and fall off the bone, which makes is easy to shred.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice
- Brown Rice
- Whole Chicken Legs- Bone in.Chicken Thighs with bone in are good substitutes.
- Veggies- Take your pick- Carrots,Peas,Celery,Bell Peppers
- Italian Seasoning- or mix together Dried Ground Garlic Powder,Oregano,Thyme and Rosemary.
- Paprika- Add as per your spice tolerance.Fell free to use chilli flakes or any other kind of ground chilli
- Chicken Broth or water- You can also add a stock cube along with water.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Brown Rice
First step is always prep.Most instant pot recipes need to be measured out.In this case, make sure you measure the stock and rice to get the perfect texture of the rice.
Also, always wash your rice.I have skipped it sometimes and ended up with gritty inedible rice.
Heat the instant pot in SAUTE mode.When it reads “hot” add oil.Give it a few seconds to heat up before adding the diced onion, garlic and carrots.
In this recipe, onions and carrots give flavour and hence they are cut pretty small and softened in the oil before adding other ingredients.
Now for the fun bit.
Add the brown rice, Seasoning, Paprika, Salt and the broth.Mix it up.
Pile the chicken pieces on top of it.Do not mix.Select PRESSURE COOK on HIGH, select the time as 22 minutes and close the pressure valve.
Once the pressure cooking is done, wait for 5 minutes before quick releasing the pressure.
Open with caution as there will be steam.
Remove the Chicken pieces.
Add peas or any other kind of veggies like bell peppers which do not need cooking.Close the pot and let it steam in residual heat.
Meanwhile, shred the chicken ,discard the bones and add it back to the pot.Give it a mix and garnish with herb of choice.
Tips to make the best Chicken & Brown Rice
To increase the nutrient quotient of this meal, you can do the following-
- Reduce the amount of rice to 1/2 cup.
- Add one more chicken leg to increase the protein content.
- Add more quick cooking veggies after the pressure cooking step like bell peppers, peas, shredded spinach or baby spinach.
This is a base recipe that can be tinkered and changed to your liking.Here are some options
- Skip the italian spices and use garam masala instead to make it into an Indian pulav
- swap 1/2 cup of broth with 1/2 cup Enchilada Sauce for a Mexican inspired rice.
Other Instant Pot Rice Recipes
Here are some more instant pot recipes for you
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #instantpotdishes on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
You can also join our community of instant potters to discover share and connect with likeminded people.
- Heat the instant pot in saute mode.Once it is HOT, add oil.
- Add the small diced carrots,Garlic and onions. Saute till its soft and translucent, about 2-3 minutes.Cancel Saute.
- To this, add the rice, Italian seasoning, salt, paprika, Chicken Broth(or Water) and give is a mix.
- Place the Chicken on top.Do not mix
- Close the lid.Select PRESSURE COOK for 22 minutes in HIGH pressure with the pressure valve in SEALING position.
- 5NPR– After the cooking time is up, wait for 5 minutes before quick releasing the pressure.
- Remove the Chicken and add the peas.Close the lid and let the peas steam in the residual heat.
- Shred the Chicken, discard the bones and add it back to the rice.
- Give it a mix, garnish with any fresh herb on hand,serve hot.