Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas - Cilantro Lime Chicken made with simple everyday ingredients!Perfect instant pot chicken for tacos and rice!
This recipe is Paleo, Whole 30 approved.It's Gluten Free and Dairy Free!
Super simple, dump it recipe that is equal parts delicious and nifty!
In these uncertain times, I find recipes like these a real life saviour. Easily available everyday ingredients and many many ways to eat it!
Spoon it inside a warm tortilla or on top of some rice and you are dinner ready!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas
- Skinless Chicken Breast- Fresh or Frozen
- Taco Seasoning- Cumin,Oregano & Paprika
- Chicken Broth or Water
- Pineapple Juice- Optional
- Smoked Paprika- Optional
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas
Prep and measure all the ingredients.
If the chicken breasts are frozen, take them out of the freezer and thaw them enough that they are not stuck together.
Step 2:Pressure Cook
Add the chicken broth to the inner pot first.This creates a layer between the chicken and the inner pot, which will make sure you do not get the burn sigh.
Add all other ingredients- Chicken thigh,Spices- Taco seasoning, salt, garlic, pineapple juice & cilantro.Close the lid, select PRESSURE COOK on HIGH as per the below table
|6-8 lbs||8-12 lbs|
|Frozen Chicken Breast||12||14|
|Fresh Chicken Breast||10||12|
Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.Quick Release and Open the instant pot after that.
Shred the Chicken with two forks or with a handheld whisk.
Step 4:Broil(Optional Step to make Chicken Carnitas Crisp)
This is an optional step.If you like your chicken carnitas crispy, you can broil them under high heat in the oven for 10 minutes.
This is totally optional.If you like your chicken saucy, skip this step completely!
How to serve Chicken Carnitas
Ah the best part! Frankly, you can just scoop it on a tortila and call it a day!If you want it fancy, add some salsa, a few avocado pieces and a little cheese on top and make a fancy taco!
Salsa- To make a quick homemade salsa, mix together equal amount of tomato and onion.Add a tablespoon of lime juice and salt and some cilantro.Leave it on the counter for a bit and your homemade salsa is ready!
Creama- You can just drizzle whisked greek yogurt or sour cream.If you want fancy, blend together sour cream, some cilantro and quarter of a jalapeno. Season with salt and you have a fancy sauce!
More Instant Pot Chicken Dinners
Taco Seasoning- Check Notes for alternatives
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Add the Chicken Stock to the inner pot of the instant pot.Add Lime Juice & Pineapple Juice(if using).
- Place rest of the ingredients- Chicken Breast(Check Notes on frozen chicken),Cilantro,Garlic,Taco Seasoning- Dried Oregano,Cumin & Paprika.
- Close the lid.Select PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL on HIGH for 10 minutes.Change the Pressure Cooking time as per the details in the Notes.
- 10 NPR- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before Quick Releasing it.
- Open the pot, using 2 forks or handheld whisk, shred the chicken.
- Top with more cilantro if desired, serve inside soft tortilla with Salsa.