Instant Pot Chicken Tinga- Mexican Shredded Chicken in Red Chilli Sauce made in the instant pot.It's a classic taco or tostada filling made Tomato and Chipotle Chillies.
Have you made shredded chicken in instant pot yet?Oh! it's the best way to make it!
Ingredients for Chicken Tinga
- Boneless Chicken Breast- You can also use Chicken thighs but Chicken Breasts shred much better than Thighs.
- Diced Tomatoes- Fire Roasted diced tomatoes are preferred but you can use the regular ones too.If you want to use fresh tomatoes, char them in a hot cast iron pan or on the flame directly, chop them and use.
- Chipotle Chilli- Ideally whole chipotle chilli in adobo sauce it the best.If you can't find it, use dried ground chipotle Chilli
- Onions- Red, yellow or white.
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Cloves
- Adobo sauce from the can
- Water or Broth
How to make Chicken Tinga in Instant Pot
The process is super simple! Add ALL the ingredients and pressure cook! That's all. Though there is some minor layering involved.
Step 1 : Prep
Get all the ingredients together. If using fresh tomatoes, you can char them and chop them up.
Step 2:Pressure Cook
Add water to the instant pot.Doing this, minimises the chance of getting the BURN sign.
Next, add the onions, tomatoes, chilli, spices- cumin and oregano, salt, adobo sauce.
Place the chicken breast on top.Pressure Cook for 15 minutes on HIGH with the valve in sealed position.Quick Release and take the Chicken out.
Shred the Chicken with two forks.Add it back to the sauce.
If the sauce seems watery, it will thicken in 10-15 minutes.If you like ,you can reduce the sauce using the SAUTE setting.
How to serve Chicken Tinga
Chicken Tinga can be served inside a taco or tostada.You can combine it with refried beans, avocado, sour cream and some Cheese.
More Instant Pot Mexican Recipes
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
Instant Pot Lime & Cilantro Chicken
Instant Pot Burrito Bowl
Instant Pot Vegan Chili
Find us on Instagram , Pinterest & Facebook here!
If you liked my recipe, do leave a comment!
It will help others find this amazing recipe too!
- 1 lbs Chicken Breast about 3 small
- 2 Cup Crushed Tomatoes* Fire roasted preferred
- 1 Onion-Chopped White or yellow
- 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 Chiptole Chillies in adobo sauce add more if you prefer spicy food
- 1 teaspoon Adobo Sauce add more if you prefer spicy food
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Cup Broth or water
- Salt to taste
- Add water or chicken broth first
- Top it with every other ingredient except chicken- Add Onion, Crushed Tomatoes,Garlic,Chipotle chilli,Adobo Sauce,Cumin,Oregano and Salt.Give it a mix.
- Add the Chicken Breast on top and close the lid.
- Select PRESSURE COOK for 15 minutes on HIGH with the Pressure Valve Closed(at SEALED position).
- After the cooking time is over, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.Quick Release after that.
- Remove the Chicken,Shred it with two forks.Put it back in the instant pot.Give it a mix.
- Garnish with Cilantro and serve inside tortilla or on top of rice.
- If you want to reduce the sauce,Switch to SAUTE and cook for 10-12 minutes.
Olena Zaslavska says
Hey, just wanted to leave a thankful comment, the receipt is great, the taste was just amazing, really balanced, spicy, salty, sour, sweet at the same time, the flavor and texture didn't leave any chances for this dish to be left for the next serving - everyone just asked for more! and it was really simple to cook! thank you for sharing this great dish!
Thankyou for writing in Olena!
I am glad you liked it.
Steven C Glaser says
Family loved it. I was missing a couple of ingredients and it still turned out great. Everyone got seconds.
that's great to hear!