Instant Pot Vegan Chili made with Black Beans,Quinoa and Sweet Potatoes.Smoky,Hearty bowl of Meatless Chili made in the instant pot within 30 minutes!
This is a great Freezer meal where you can throw all the ingredients in a freezer bag, dump it in the instant pot and cook!
It is Vegan, Gluten Free,Dairy Free.This is a great Meatless meal especially for people who want to given being meatless a try.
You know whats the best part of this Chili though? It's a very forgiving dish, so don't fret if you don't have all the ingredients!
Just skip them.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Vegan Chilli
- Beans- Precooked Black Beans.You can either cook them yourself in the instant pot or use canned.I have tried it with both. You can also mix your beans - add pinto beans, red kidney beans or cannelloni beans.
- Diced Tomatoes- Use fresh tomatoes or canned.
- Quinoa- I have used white quinoa but fell free to use any color.
- Vegetables- Onions,Red Peppers,Celery,Sweet Potatoes & Garlic.You can add more veggies like Frozen corn or replace sweet potatoes with Butternut squash.
- Spices & Flavourings- The main flavours here are smoked chilli, Cumin,Cocoa and Cinnamon.You can use any smoked paprika you can find.You can also add jalapeños if you like your chili spicy.
- Toppings- This is think is very personal!But the usuals are Sour Cream or Yogurt,Cheddar Cheese,Cilantro, Avocados, Chips
How to make Vegan Quinoa Chili in Instant Pot
Step 1: Prep
Cut the onions, Celery and Red Pepper into small squares.If using canned beans, rinse the beans and discard the juices.
Peel and Dice the sweet potatoes.
Step 2: Saute the onions,Red pepper and Celery
Heat the instant pot.When it says "HOT", add olive oil.To this add onions,red pepper and celery. Saute till it's Softened and soft.
Step 3: Dump everything in and Pressure Cook
Add the Sweet Potato, Quinoa, Tomatoes, Spices and water or broth.Close the lid and set the pressure for 10 minutes on HIGH.
Step 4 : Pressure Release
After the cooking time is over, let the pressure release naturally.This will take about 20-22 minutes.
At this point the chilli would be a little watery but as it cools down, it will become thick.
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe with Dry Beans
This recipe calls for already cooked beans.If you want to use dry beans you have two options
Option 1: Pressure Cook 1 Cup beans with 3 cups of water and little salt.Select HIGH PRESSURE for 35 minutes with the pressure valve sealed.
If you presoak the beans for 6-8 hours, reduce the pressure time to 25 minutes.
Option 2: Skip adding the sweet potatoes and add rest of the ingredients.Pressure cook for 30 minutes on HIGH pressure.Let the pressure release for 5 minutes, then do a controlled release.
Add sweet potatoes,Pressure cook for another 10 minutes on HIGH with the pressure valve sealed
How to convert Vegan Quinoa Chili in instant pot into a Freezer Meal
You can make easily make this into a freezer meal.
Chop up all Fresh ingredients- Onion,Garlic,Celery,Sweet Potato and Bell Peppers.
Add them to a freezer bag along with the Beans, Quinoa, Spices and Freeze.Add everything except the water.
When it's time to cook, dump the frozen meal in the instant pot, add water.Set the time to 15 minutes HIGH pressure.
More Meatless Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Pasta Primavera
Instant Pot Vegetable Lo Mein
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Instant Pot Cauliflower and Potato Curry
Other Instant Pot Meals
Instant Pot Newyork Style Halal Chicken and Rice
Instant Pot Egg Fried Rice
Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Pasta
Find us on Instagram , Pinterest & Facebook here!
If you liked my recipe, do leave a comment!
t will help others find this amazing recipe too!
- 2 Cup Black Beans* 2 15 ounce cans; Check Notes
- ½ Cup Quinoa Un cooked
- 2 Cups Diced Tomatoes 15 Ounce Can ; Fire Roasted would be nice; check notes
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth or Water
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Onion Chopped
- ¼ Cup Celery Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Chopped
- 2 Sweet Potatoes Diced.(About 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika or Cayenne Reduce if you like less spice
- Salt as per taste
- ½ Jalapeno Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Cocoa Powder Unsweetened
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Select the SAUTE setting and heat the instant pot.Add Oil and let it heat through.
- Add the Onion and Bell Pepper.Cook till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the Vegetable Broth and deglaze-Scrape any caramelized bits stuck to the pot.This is essential to avoid the BURN message.
- To this add- Quinoa, Cooked Beans,Diced Tomatoes,Tomato Paste,Sweet Potatoes,Smoked Paprika,Cumin,Garlic and Salt.If using add- Jalapeno, cinnamon, cocoa powder and Frozen Corn.
- Cancel SAUTE.Select PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 10 minutes with the valve in SEALED position.
- Let the pressure release naturally.Open the instant pot and give it a mix.
- Shortcut- Simply dice ripe tomatoes.
- Fire roast them on the stove to burn the skin a bit;Pulse them once in the blender.
Hi there, hope this will be good -- but i notice you don't say in the instructions when to add the garlic and the cumin?
Thankyou for pointing out..i must have missed adding it in the instructions..
Love this simple recipe, healthy, quick, delicious. Make it frequently.