Instant Pot Aloo Gobi – A classic Indian dish using Potatoes and Cauliflower and simple spices in the instant pot.
This has been on our weekly rotation of years!I always have cauliflower in my refrigerator and i almost always end up making this sabzi.Sabzi is a dry stir fried version of our indian curries.
In fact, you can adapt this recipe for almost any other vegetable- beans, carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers.
Why make Instant Pot Aloo Gobi
Why make aloo gobi in instant pot instead of say a traditional pressure cooker or stove top?
Here are the reasons
- It’s Quicker
- One pot to wash– way easier than washing pressure cooker or a pot.
- More Nutritious
If you are still unconvinced, i have written a detailed post on Indian food in instant pot. This will give you all the reasons and details along with the recipes you should start with, if you are new to instant pot.
How to make Instant Pot Aloo Gobi
Step 1: Prep the Vegetables
Cut the cauliflower into large florets so that it doesn’t become mushy while pressure cooking.
Cut the potatoes into thin 1 inch pieces, so that they get cooked along with the cauliflower.
Step 2: Make the Base Sauce
Heat the instant pot in the saute mode.Once it says “Hot”, add the oil.Let the oil become hot, add cumin and wait for it to splutter.Add the Onion and ginger garlic paste. Saute till they start turning brown- about 4-5 minutes.
Add the Chopped tomato along with its juices and saute till mushy.Press the tomatoes from the back of the spoon to make it cook faster.Take about 3-4 minutes.
Add all the remaining spices- turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder along with salt.Cancel Saute.
Open the pot, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Step 3: Deglaze and add vegetables
Add 1/4 Cup water and deglaze the pot very well.This is the most important step, if not done, the instant pot will show the burn sign.Add the potatoes and cauliflower on top.Mix and Close the lid.
Step 4: Pressure Cook
Select PRESSURE COOK, on HIGH pressure , for 3 minutes.Quick Release the pressure.
Open and Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Variations of Aloo Gobi
Ah..there are a zillion variations to this humble aloo gobi.Here are 2 very famous versions.
Aloo Gobi with peas – Add frozen or fresh peas to this already awesome sabzi to add a twist.
Fried Aloo Gobi– This is where you deep fry the potato and cauliflower before proceeding to make the sabzi.because we already cook the cauliflower and potatoes by deep frying, you should cook the sauce and add the cauliflower and potatoes in the end.
Tips to make aloo gobi instant pot
- Cut and wash the cauliflower in running water.As an added measure, soak the cauliflower in warm salted water for a few minutes.
- Pre Prepping veggies– Soak the potatoes in water if you are prepping the veggies ahead of cooking them.This will stop them from turning black.
- SPICES – use your favourite Indian curry powder instead of the turmeric, coriander and chilli powder.
Cauliflower Curry Instant Pot
Is Aloo Gobhi Vegan
Yes, it is vegan, if you use oil instead of the ghee.
Is Aloo Gobhi Gluten Free
Absolutely.Aloo Gobhi is naturally gluten free.
To make Aloo Gobhi on Stove top
To make this on stove top, follow the same process till you add the potato and cauliflower.
Cover the pot and let it cook on low-medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
What to serve with Aloo Gobhi
On a busy day, serve this as a main along with some bread like chappathis or plain parathas with some simple dal.
More recipes like instant pot aloo gobi
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #yellowthyme on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste Store bought or use fresh
- 1 Onion – chopped about 1 cup
- 1 large Potato – cut into 1 inch chunks about 1.5 cups
- 1 head Cauliflower – cut into large florets about 4 cups
- 2 medium Tomatoes- chopped about 1 cup
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Heat the instant pot in the saute mode.
- Once it says "Hot", add the oil.
- Let the oil become hot, add cumin and wait for it to splutter.
- Add the Onion and ginger garlic paste. Saute till they start turning brown- about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the Chopped tomato along with its juices and saute till mushy.Press the tomatoes from the back of the spoon to make it cook faster.Take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the remaining spices- turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder along with salt.Cancel Saute.
- Add 1/4 Cup water and deglaze the pot very well.This is the most important step, if not done, the instant pot will show the burn sign.
- Add the potatoes and cauliflower on top.Close the lid.
- Select PRESSURE COOK, on HIGH pressure , for 2 minutes.Quick Release the pressure.
- Open the pot, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Cut the potatoes into 1 inch,thin pieces
- Cut the cauliflower into big florets.
- Replace the Turmeric,Coriander powder & Chilli powder with 1 tbsp of Curry Powder.
- Make sure you deglaze the pot otherwise the pressure cooker will show BURN message.