Kurkuri Bhindi Fry - Crispy Okra slivers made by frying the ladies finger with chickpea flour and Indian spices.
What's your favourite vegetable? Mine for SURE is bhindi also called okra or Ladies Finger in English.Today's recipe is Kurkuri Bhindi Fry.
I can eat okra everyday..In fact I almost do.I make it in some form or the other atleast twice a week.This deep fried version is a perfect vegetarian side for parties and also days when you don't mind being a little indulgent.
What is Kurkuri Bhindi Fry?
This is a crunchy crispy preparation of okra, usually served with Dal and Rice or at gatherings as a vegetarian Side.
This version of Bhindi Fry is deep fried ladies finger which has been marinated in a spice mix of chickpea flour- besan and simple indian spices.
Kurkure Bhindi Fry
I think I could eat this everyday with yellow dal and rice.This is indulgent comfort food for me!
How to make Kurkuri Bhindi Fry
Step 1: First, Wash and dry the ladies finger.Slice the ladies finger lengthwise into long sticks.
Step 2: Mix it with the seasoning made of besan,salt,coriander powder,Chilli powder, dry mango powder & turmeric.Set aside for 15 minutes so that the spices are absorbed in the okra.
Step 3: Deep fry in hot oil in batches and serve hot!
How to serve Cripsy Ladies Finger?
Serve this as a vegetarian appetiser or as a side with a Curry like Dal Fry and Rice.
The bhindi can be prepped ahead of time and refrigerated and deep fried just before serving.
Alternatives and Tips
A great alternative to deep frying would be air frying the marinated okra for 10 minutes with just a teaspoon of oil.This will be healthier and faster than deep frying.
Make sure you dry the bhindi before slicing it.This will make sure it's not left sticky and gummy.
Here are some vegetarian indian recipes for you
- ½ kg Okra/Bhindi- sliced into long sticks
- 4 tablespoon Chickpea flour/Besan use kuttu flour for vrat
- 1 tablespoon coriander Powder/Dhaniya powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Mango powder/Amchur
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry
- Mix the besan,dhaniya powder, chilli powder,turmeric powder, mango powder and salt in a bowl.Whisk together.
- Add it to the bhindi slices and set aside for 15 minutes so that the okra absorbs all the spices and the flour.
- Heat the oil.Test with one ladies finger and check.
- Deep fry the ladies finger in hot oil in batches and serve immediately.