Instant Pot Chicken and Yellow Rice- A NewYork halal street cart style Turmeric Rice with flavorsome juicy Chicken- all made in the instant pot!
This dish is so good that I couldn't stop eating it while filming! Thank god I made a lot of it. The Chicken is so juicy, and the rice is fluffy and flavored.
It is a gluten-free, dairy-free dish. It's a great recipe for family dinners, especially if you want to impress!
Here is what you need to make this yellow rice.
- Chicken Thighs with Bone in.You can also use boneless thighs or Chicken Breasts but the pressure cooking time will change from 8 minutes to 5 minutes.
- Lemon Juice
- Ground Cumin
- Ground Coriander Powder- This is optional though it adds a lot of flavour
- Paprika or any Mild ground chilli.If you like it spicy, use
- Garlic Cloves- Minced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Basmati Rice
- Chicken Stock or Water
- Ground Turmeric
- Ground Cumin
Ingredients for the Yogurt Sauce
In my opinion, this is the bit that ties the whole dish toghether. It's crazy how simple this sauce is! I am going to be drizzling this over all sorts of things.
Here are the ingredients
Swaps and Alternatives
Rice- You cannot use Brown rice in this recipe because that will take way too long to cook and leave the chicken overcooked and tough.
Other Additions- Cranberries, almonds, pistachios, Vegetables such as peppers and peas.
How to make Halal Cart Style Chicken and Yellow Rice
Step 1: Marination
Mix all the ingredients of the marinade. It should have a good kick so the marinade seasons the chicken from within. This is also the main flavor of the dish, so make sure you use all ingredients.
Add the chicken to the marinade and mix it up. Let it sit on the counter for at least 15 minutes.
For best results, I suggest at least an hour of marination.
Step 2:Browning the Chicken
Select SAUTE setting on the instant pot. When the instant pot reads HOT, add oil. Let it sizzle for 20 seconds.
Place the marinated chicken one by one using tongs, bone side up. Save the leftover marination. Let it cook undisturbed for 10-12 minutes, based on how much color you want on the chicken.
Cancel Saute. Remove the chicken to a plate.
Add water or chicken broth to the inner pot. Using a silicon or a wooden spoon, dislodge all the burnt caramelized bits.
This is important because otherwise, the instant pot will show the burn message and stop cooking prematurely.
Step 4:Pressure Cook
Add the rice and the rest of the spices. Add any leftover marinade too. Mix it up.
Place the chicken with skin side up. Tip in any leftover chicken juices too. Select Pressure Cook for 7 minutes on HIGH.
Step 5:Pressure Release
After the cooking time is over, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, after which Quick Release the pressure.
How to serve Chicken and Yellow Rice
The best way to serve this Newyork Halal cart style Chicken and turmeric rice is with a heavy drizzle of yogurt sauce and some crunchy salad on the side.
More Instant Pot Rice Recipes
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- 4-5 Chicken Thighs with Bone
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Paprika increase this as per spice tolerance
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt increase it as per your taste
- Mix the ingredients listed under marinade- lemon juice, oregano, coriander powder, galirc, paprika, olive oil and salt.
- Add the Chicken and let it marinade for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.If you don't have the time, you can skip the marination time or try to do it for 10-15 minutes atleast.
Browning the Chicken*
- Using the SAUTE setting, Heat the instant pot.Let it read "HOT" before you add oil.
- Place the Chicken, skin side down.Brown* it for 3-4 minutes till you get a nice sear.Flip and sear the other side.
- Cancel Saute, Remove the chicken from the instant pot and set aside on a plate.
- To the inner pot, add Chicken Stock or Water and deglaze**Check Notes)
- Add Rice, salt, turmeric and cumin.Mix it up.
- Place the seared Chicken Thighs on top.(Do not mix!)
- Close the lid and PRESSURE cook for 8 minutes on HIGH.
- 10NPR- Once the cooking time is over,Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before QUICK RELEASE.
1 tablespoon Mayonaise
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Vinegar
¼ teaspoon Salt Mix it all toghether and drizzle over the rice and chicken while serving.