Instant Pot Indian Chicken Curry – Desi Chicken Curry made with bone in chicken, yogurt and spices , in under 30 minutes.Serve this along with steamed rice or chapatis and a little salad for an easy weeknight dinner!
This curry is perfect for beginners or people who like cooking with minimal ingredients.
Okay..The list doesn’t look minimal but that’s cause indian food usually calls for a loooootttt of spices and this frankly borders on bare minimum.
Though if you want to make something a little more elaborate- try my Instant Pot Chicken Korma recipe.It’s to die for!Seriously!
This Instant pot Chicken Curry is super easy to make and uses only handful of easily available ingredients.
- Spices- Turmeric,Chilli powder,Garam Masala/Curry Powder
yes, that’s it!Minimal ingredients chicken curry made quickly in an instant pot.Literally the fastest instant pot curry possible!
How to make Instant Pot Indian Chicken Curry
Step 1: Using the Saute Function on Instant Pot, brown the onions till golden brown.(1-2-3)
Step 2:Add tomatoes and cook till mushy(4,5)
Step 3: Add the spices, salt and give it a mix.(6)
Step 4: Add half the Whisked yogurt and mix till you can’t see it.Then Add rest of the yogurt.(7,8,9)
Step 5:Add the Chicken and 3/4 Cup of water.Close the lid.(10,11)
Step 6: Select the PRESSURE COOK setting, set the timer to 10 minutes on HIGH pressure.Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes,Quick release the vale after that.Open the curry, give it a mix, add coriander and serve with rice or rotis.(12)
To serve with this Instant Pot Chicken Curry
I usually eat this with steamed rice ,brown rice or jeera rice.A thicker version of this is heaven with naans and rotis.
Dietary Details & Alternatives
This chicken curry recipe is Gluten Free but not dairy free.To make a dairy free version, omit using the yogurt.Instead substitute it with coconut yogurt or thick coconut milk.
- 500 gms Chicken on the bone
- 1 Cup Onions- Chopped 125 gms
- 1.5 Cup Tomato- Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt whisked
- 1 tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 tbsp Crushed Ginger
- 1 Green Chilli Omit to make less spicy
- 1 tsbp Ghee or Oil
- Select the SAUTE function on the instant pot
- When the pot is hot,add oil/Ghee.
- To the Ghee,add chopped onions and saute for 4-5 minutes till the edges start turning brown.
- Tip in the tomatoes and saute for another 4-5 minutes till the tomatoes disintegrate.Add 1 tbsp of water if the pot is getting too dry.
- Add all the spices- Turmeric,Chilli powder/Paprika,Coriander Powder,Garam Masala/Curry Powder & Salt.Give it a mix.
- To this onion-tomato Masala- Add half whisked yogurt and give it a mix.When you dont see any streaks of yogurt, add the rest of it.
- Add Chicken along with 1 cup of water.Switch off the SAUTE button.
- Select PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL button.Set the time to 8 minutes,HIGH pressure and close the lid.Set the pressure valve at SEALING position.
- Let the pressure drop naturally for 10 minutes,then Quick Release the pressure.Give the curry a mix.
- If the curry is too watery for your likeness,boil it using the SAUTE function for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and seve hot!