Instant Pot Chicken Fajita – Chicken Breast cooked with bell peppers and fajita seasoning. This is a Paleo & Keto Approved. It’s also gluten Free and low carb.
This is a super easy instant pot chicken fajitas recipe. You pressure cook the chicken first and then add the veggies and rest of the awesomeness in sauté more. This makes sure the veggies have a crunch and aren’t over cooked.
Why make this Instant Pot Chicken
A few reasons really but foremost is the handsoff way of making this fajita chicken with minimal oil.
Also this recipe is quite versatile. It can serve everyone in the family- whether you are on keto or a weight loss program or kids who want to eat something easy and nutritious.
This recipe ticks all your diet boxes- it’s Paleo, Keto, Gluten Free & low carb.
This is also a great recipe for meal preppers. You can make this and portion it for your meals.
How to make chicken fajitas in Instant Pot
There are a two ways of making chicken fajitas in the instant pot.The first method is the dump it all and pressure cook.This way, though simpler will give you a soupy dish with wilted veggies.
I like crunch in the veggies. I also want the chicken to not feel like boiled chicken so this is my way of making chicken fajitas that i like. I hope you like it as much as I do!
Step 1: Prep
Slice the chicken into thin strips. Use a sharp knife for this.Cutting raw chicken with a blunt chicken is another kind of hell!
Also slice the bell peppers into thin strips.
Step 2: Pressure Cook
Add the1/4 cup water first to the instant pot. Make sure you don’t add chicken first and water second. You might end up with a burn sign that way!
1/4 cup water is enough. The Chicken will also release a loooot of water.
Add Salt to the water and place the chicken on top.
Pressure cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.3 minutes might seem low but sliced chicken breast will not need much time to cook. Also we will be sautéing for 5-10 minutes in the end so 3 minutes is quite sufficient.
Once the time is up, wait for 2-3 minutes, quick release the pressure valve.Open the pot.
At this point, the chicken will look watery and THAT’S OK.
Step 3: Sauté
Switch to sauté.
Add oil, fajita seasoning , bell peppers and onions. Mix it up with a sturdy ladel/spatula.
Let it cook, bubbling for 5-10 minutes till there is only a little juice left. Garnish with Cilantro and serve on top of rice or inside a tortilla.
Instant Pot chicken Fajita Casserole
If you aren’t making this recipe to portion control and loose weight, then you can make it even more delicious! Adding Cheese will also make this dish keto compliant.
Cancel Saute. Add Mexican blend of cheese on top of the dish, close the pot and let it stand for 3-5 minutes. Open and enjoy the cheesy goodness!
Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas with Frozen Chicken
The best part of instant pot is its ability to cook frozen meat! You can use frozen chicken to make this recipe very easily.
There are two ways to do it
- Use pre sliced frozen chicken. You can either buy chicken in this form or buy chicken breast and slices it and freeze it.This way you will get the exact same texture. Keep all else the same- same pressure cooking time and water etc.
- Use whole frozen Chicken Breast and shred it after cooking. This way is easier but the texture of the chicken will be different. If using this method, increase the cooking time to 8 minutes.
Instant pot shredded chicken fajitas are just as good. Especially if you don’t like handling raw chicken and slicing it.
Here are some more instant pot recipes with chicken for you
Are you looking for easy recipes which will help you loose weight? Well your search ends here! Here is a great compilation of Instant Pot Weightloss Recipes .
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #instantpotdishes on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
You can also join our community of instant potters to discover share and connect with likeminded people.
- 1 lbs Chicken Breast Sliced into thin 1-1.5 inch strips
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt or as per taste
- 1 Red Bell Pepper sliced into strips
- 1 Green Bell Pepper sliced into strips
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper sliced into strips
- 1 Onion sliced into strips
- 2 tbsp Fajita Seasoning add as per your liking and spice tolerance
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Add 1/4 cup of water in the instant pot. Add about 1/2 tsp of salt(or as per taste).
- Add the chicken on top of the water.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 minutes on high pressure with the pressure valve closed.
- After the cooking time is over, let the pressure release naturally for 2-3 minutes.Quick Release the pressure after that.
- Switch to sauté setting. Add the bell peppers, onions, oil and fajita seasoning.
- Let it cook till the liquid reduces and the vegetables cook a bit. I like to do for 8-10 minutes.