Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas - Easy Instant Pot DINNER! The quickest meal you can make with amazingly tender juicy chicken + veggies.
- Why we love making Chicken Fajitas in instant pot
- Ingredients for Instant Pot Fajita Chicken
- Hot Tip
- How to make Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- How to make Chicken fajitas with Sliced chicken
- Instant Pot Fajitas vs Stove Top Fajitas
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Fajitas
- Step 1: Pressure cook chicken
- Step 2: Shred the chicken
- Step 3: Sauté
- How to Serve Chicken Fajita
- Toppings for Fajita Chicken
- Chicken Fajitas with Frozen Chicken
- How to make a Chicken Fajita Bowl
- Leftovers & Storing
- Chicken Fajitas Freezer Meal
- More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Fajita Chicken
TASTE: Juicy, tender & flavored with the best taco seasoning!
TEXTURE: Soft & Comforting
EASE: Very Very Easy!
APPEARANCE: Golden Caramelized wings
PROS: One Pot Chicken dinner that can be customized by each family member.
CONS: Different from regular crispy fajitas. This has a fair bit of juice from pressure cooking
Diet : Low Carb, Keto, Paleo, Low Carb & Oil free!
This recipe is perfect for someone who is bored of cooking the same old chicken..the same old way.
Also! If you are like me and want a juicy chicken breast instead of a hard, chewy version, then this recipe is for you.
The leftover gravy/ ju at the end if a perfect sauce you needed to tie the whole dish together!
The best part is that you can eat it in so many different ways! On white rice or cauli rice.
Who doesn't love a good chicken dinner! And if its something every member of the family can customize, then in my kitchen dictionary that's a sure shot win!
Here is what we will do to make Fajitas in the instant pot!
- Pressure Cook the chicken
- Add the veggies & seasoning in
- Give it a quick mix
- Pile it on a warm tortilla along with some lettuce and mashed avocados.
I will explain how to make chicken fajitas with
Chicken fajitas is my goto recipe when I want to eat a low carb meal.I eat it without rice or tortila. With a nice salad on the side.
Speaking of quick meals, do give my Instant Pot Salsa Chicken & Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas a try too! You can rustle them up on a busy weeknight in a jiffy!
Why we love making Chicken Fajitas in instant pot
We make these fajitas pretty often and here is why!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Fajita Chicken
I have used chicken breast that's been thinly sliced here.
You can either use a sharp knife or cut it using a kitchen scissor.
Cut into 1 inch thin slices. You will need a sharp knife for this.
If you want to use chicken thighs instead, change the cooking time to 5 minutes instead.
If you want to use frozen chicken thighs or breast, you can use the cook first and shred later way of cooking.
To slice a chicken breast the easy way, stick it in the freezer for 15 minutes. That way the chicken gets a little hard and makes the cutting super easy!
It's very easy to make fajita seasoning at home. You can also use your favorite store bought fajita seasoning if you want.
Whenever you use store-bought seasoning, check the taste- salt and heat before using it in recipes.
You can use a teaspoon or a table spoon or even a cup to make this recipe
You can adjust the amount of ground chili based on how much heat you can take. With these proportions, the heat is sort of medium. Just above what children will be comfortable with.
Bell Peppers - All kinds of colors! The more the better! These should be sliced thin.
Onion- A medium- Large onion - white or yellow. Sliced long like the peppers.
Usually fajitas has only these two veggies but if you want to make it more veggie packed, you can add celery and Shredded carrots too.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
There are a three ways of making chicken fajitas in the instant pot.
The first way is for crazy days when you have no time and just have to get things done!
The second way is when you have a bit more patience
The third way is when you don't want to handle raw chicken or slice it.
How to make Chicken fajitas with Sliced chicken
Step 1: Prep
Slice the chicken into thin strips. Use a sharp knife for this.
Quick Tip - place the chicken in the freezer for a bit before slicing. It makes the job so much easier!
Also slice the bell peppers and onions into thin strips.
Step 2: Pressure Cook
Add ¼ cup water first to the instant pot. Make sure you don't add chicken first and water second. You might end up with a burn sign that way!
¼ cup water is enough. The Chicken will also release a loooot of water.
Add Salt to the water and place the chicken on top.
Pressure cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
3 minutes might seem low but sliced chicken breast will not need much time to cook. Also we will be sautéing for 3-5 minutes in the end, so 3 minutes is quite sufficient.
Once the time is up, wait for 2-3 minutes, wait for 5 minutes before you quick release the pressure valve by turning it from sealing position to venting position. Open the pot.
At this point, the chicken will look watery and THAT'S OK.
You can tip some of the water out or simply spoon some out.
Step 3: Sauté
Cancel and switch to "Saute"
Add oil, taco seasoning, bell peppers and onions. Mix it up with a sturdy ladle/spatula.
Sauté till the vegetables are cooked as per preference. I usually do this for 2-3 minutes because i like them crunchy.
and thats it! Squeeze some lemon on top and your meal is ready!
Instant Pot Fajitas vs Stove Top Fajitas
The texture of both these dishes is very different.
Instant Pot Fajita will be softer, juicier and plumper. The juices are great when you want to eat the chicken fajita with rice.
That little bit of left over ju , seasons the plain rice very well.I also like to drizzle it as a finishing "sauce" when I am eating it in a tortilla.
Where as the stove top fajita will be darker, more caramelized. The chicken will take a different texture and finish. It will be great over tortillas but with a lot of fixings. Atleast for me.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Fajitas
Another way to make chicken fajitas in the instant pot is to use whole chicken breast and shred it later.
Step 1: Pressure cook chicken
Keep a trivet in the instant pot.
Add water and place the chicken, seasoning and herbs in the instant pot steel insert.
Pressure cook for 10 minutes on high.
Once the cooking is done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes after which turn the pressure knob from sealing to venting.
Open the pressure cooker.
Step 2: Shred the chicken
Discard the water.
Shred the chicken using two forks or you can also use a hand whisk. It's pretty easy and non messy way to shred the chicken.
Step 3: Sauté
Switch to saute mode.
Add the veggies.
Give it a mix and saute for 1-3 minutes till the vegetables are up to your liking.
And your chicken fajitas are ready to be served!
Instant pot shredded chicken fajitas are just as good. Especially if you don't like handling raw chicken and slicing it.
How to Serve Chicken Fajita
There are endless ways to eat these fajitas.
On a Tortilla - With some Mashed Avocado, Salsa ,Sour cream.Maybe some lime.It's totally up to you! I usually lay them on the table for everyone to make their own fajita wrap.
To make a GF or Keto wrap- Simple use an almond flour tortila or a cauli tortilla.
On Rice- This recipe is especially great over some white basmati or brown rice.. You can first drizzle the left over juices on the rice and then heap it up with the chicken and bell peppers.
Meal Prep - I like making the chicken fajita in the instant pot especially for meal prep.I hate dry chicken, especially if it's not crispy. I just add this along with some rice and maybe a salad made with cucumber in a few meal prep containers and call it a day!or a week..:D
Toppings for Fajita Chicken
This is the most fun part of making meals that can be put toghether as per preference
Here is the list of possible toppings
- Cojito Cheese or Any Mexican blend cheese
- Sour cream
- Lime Juice
- sliced avocado
- Pico de Gallo
- Hot Sauce
- Crushed Nachos- this is so satisfying!
- Sliced Jalapenos- Use the pickled ones.
- Picked Onions
Chicken Fajitas with Frozen Chicken
So you have frozen chicken breast and want to make fajitas.
The best way is to thaw it the night before in the fridge and use it as described in the recipe.
The lazy way- if you have forgotten to thaw the chicken is to make shredded chicken fajitas instead.It's described in detail on top.
Just increase the cooking time to 7 minutes.
How to make a Chicken Fajita Bowl
Now you can make your favourite fajita bowl at home!
This is a great for a family meal! Each member can make their fajita bowl the way they like it!
Here are the fixings you should prepare to make the bowl
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt- Try my garlic greek yogurt on it as a topping.
- Slaw with shredded cabbage
- Rice- Brown or White- Here is how you can make brown rice and White rice in the instant pot.
You could also serve it with a salsa like this Mango Corn Pico de Galla.
Leftovers & Storing
The Fajitas will last in the fridge for up-to 4-5 days. Make sure you use fresh chicken that's been bought on the same day or frozen chicken that's been thawed in the fridge the night before.
This will make sure the shelp life of fajita chicken is long and nice.Also! USe air tight glass containers.That way you can see all you have in your fridge and not end up cooking more or ordering in!
Chicken Fajitas Freezer Meal
This is a hack that saves time & reduces wastage.Especially, if you are like me and have ordered way more produce and chicken than you need!
Here is what you do
- Take a Ziplock bag(Try the reusable ones).
- Add the sliced Chicken and the fajita seasoning. Mix it up.
- Top it with the bell peppers and onion.
- Seal and freeze flat to save space.
- Once frozen, stack it up with your other freezer meals.
To use this, thaw the frozen meal in the refrigerator overnight. Put the whole thing in the instant pot and pressure cook for 4 minutes.
This way, though shorter, will make your veggies soggy! But if you are a mom or just a busy person, who wants homemade food but no fuss.This is the method for you!
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Here is a link to all my instant pot chicken recipes.
If you are looking for similar quick and easy chicken recipes then here is a list for you-
Also try our quick Chicken Tinga , super addictive Crack Chicken and Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff -with mushrooms! So so Yum!
If you make these chicken fajitas , drop me a note. I would love to hear your thoughts. Also! do give us a rating. It really help me reach people
Find us on Instagram , Pinterest & Facebook here!
If you liked my recipe, do leave a comment!
t will help others find this amazing recipe too!
- 1 lbs Chicken Breast
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1 Red Bell Pepper sliced into strips
- 1 Green Bell Pepper sliced into strips
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper sliced into strips
- 1 Onion sliced
- 2 tablespoon Fajita Seasoning add as per your liking and spice tolerance
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil Optional
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Chilli Smoked Cayenne or any other smoked chilli
- ½ teaspoon Paprika Mild
Chicken Fajitas- using sliced chicken
- Place the chicken breast in the freezer for 5 minutes. This will make it easy to slice.
- Slice it into thin strips.
- Add ¼ cup of water in the instant pot. Add about ½ teaspoon of salt(or as per taste).
- Add the chicken on top of the water.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 minutes on high pressure with the pressure valve closed.
- After the cooking time is over, let the pressure release naturally for 2-3 minutes.Quick Release the pressure after that.
- You can just tip some of the water out or use a spoon to remove some of it.
- Switch to the sauté setting. Add the Fajita seasoning, bell peppers ,onions and oil if using.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes till the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon and your sliced chicken fajita is ready!
Shredded Chicken Fajitas-using Whole Chicken Breast
- Add ½ Cup of water to the instant pot.
- Place a trivet inside. Keep the chicken breast on top of the trivet.
- Close and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Let the pressure drop for 5 minutes before you quick release the pressure by turning the pressure knob from sealing to Venting.
- Carefully remove the chicken, Shred it using a fork.
- Switch to saute setting. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the instant pot.
- Add the chicken , salt & taco seasoning. Give it a quick mix. If you want, you can brown the chicken a bit here.
- Add the vegetables - bell peppers & onion. Give it a mix.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon and your shredded chicken fajita is ready!
To reheat, Transfer the chicken fajita in a microwave safe bowl with a lid.Sprinkle some water on it. Microwave for 4-5 minutes depending on the quantity You can also saute it in a pan.Be sure to sprinkle some water and cover it for a bit so that the insides are hot too.
Mobasir hassan says
Truly appreciate the way you made this delicious Instant pot chicken fajita. Steps are so nicely described that really helped me. I am looking forward for more such yummy recipes in future too.
Ava Russell says
Wow! This recipe is amazing and super quick! Love the idea to melt the cheese at the end. Very much worth it