Cherry Rhubarb Crumble- Delicious no fuss dessert!!
Crumble is usually a clash of textures and tastes.The combination of crispy and juicy.
The warm, right out of oven crumble served with vanilla ice cream! Ah thats homemade dessert heaven!
I can tell you I felt like a little child licking the bowl clean when I was done with this Cherry Rhubarb Crumble.
There is something so comforting about eating a crumble.It has everything -the tartness from the fruits - cherry & rhubarb in this case,crispness from the crumble and creaminess from the ice-cream or whipped cream.It's infact ,the perfect no fuss dessert at the end of a hearty dinner.I usually serve the crumble warm with a dollop of ice cream which adds another dimension to this already amazing dish.
I love making it in my kitchen because this doesn't need any special knowledge or skill.It's a such a simple yet deeply rewarding dessert which I make so so often.
Crumble is the most perfect no fuss dessert
How to make Cherry Rhubarb Crumble
Step 1:Preheat the oven to 375 F or 180 C for 10 minutes.
Pit the cherries. Cut the Rhubarb into small bite size pieces.About ¼ inch long.
In a large bowl,mix the fruit with sugar and flour.Let it rest for a bit.This will release the juices.Set this aside till you make the crumble mix.
Step 2: In another bowl, mix toghether flour,oats,sugar and melted butter.This will make for the most crispy layer on top!
Step 4: Tip the fruits into your baking pan.Add the crumble in an eve layer on top.Make sure it's not too thick.
Step 5: Baking- Bake it at 180 C or 375 F for 30 minutes till the topping is golden brown.
You should see cooked fruit peeking and bubbling from beneath.Let it rest for 5-10 minutes before eating.
Resting will further crisp up the crumble.
Easy way to pit cherries
Easiest way to pit cherries is if you have a cherry pitter.
The other way is to use a straw.I usually use a steel straw.
To Serve the Rhubarb Cherry Crumble
Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
The crumble tastes best 10-15 minutes after baking.If you store it in the refrigerator, there is a chance it could soften up.In that case, a quick microwave before serving should work.
For our health concious eaters, serve this with some creamy greek yogurt.
Variations of a Crumble
I have used fresh cherries & Rhubarb for this crumble but you can really use any other stone fruit or berries in the same quantity.
The tartness from the stone fruits transforms into a deep sweetness when baked and oozes such a beautiful full-bodied Burgundy sauce which is so characteristic with these beautiful seasonal fruits.
Here are some other fruit pairings that work well with the same recipe
- Strawberries and cherries
- Blueberries and Strawberries
- Cherries & Plums
If you love crumbles, do take a look at my healthy Cherry & Plum Muesli Crumble recipe too.You will love it!
More fruit based Desserts
Plum & Cherry Muesli Crumble
Cherry & Orange Pound Cake
Cherry & Blueberry Clafoutis
Mango Pannacotta- Easy No Bake Dessert
Air Fried Banana
Find us on Instagram , Pinterest & Facebook here!
If you liked my recipe, do leave a comment!
It will help others find this amazing recipe too!
- 1 Cup Cherries stone/seed removed & cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Cup Rhubarb cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Flour All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
For the Crumble Topping
- ¼ Cup Sugar for the crumble
- ½ Cup Flour All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Rolled Oats Melted
- ¼ Cup Butter
- Preheat the Oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 365 F.
- Mix the diced fruit with 1 tablespoon flour and 2 tablespoon sugar.Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the ½ cup flour, oats,¼ cup sugar and melted butter.
- Mix the ingredients with your hands, try and make everything wet.If required add more butter 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Layer the fruit on the bottom of the baking tin.
- Add the crumble layer on the top- Do this roughly- Do not make it too perfect or press it down too much.
- Once the whole surface is covered, bake it in the oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or till the top is golden and you can see a bit of sauce bubbling on the top.
- Let it cool slightly before serving with ice cream.