Saffron Cake infused with Cardamom and Kesar, with a gorgeous white chocolate ganache on top.This is an Indian fusion Saffron Cardamom Cake.
Coconut Cake with Banana Curd is my another go to indian fusion cake.It's inspired by all things kerala.
I am overwhelmed with the kind comments and encouragements I have received for this Saffron Cardamom Cake on my Instagram account in a matter of few minutes.You guys are the best!
If you have been following me ,then you know that I have been celebrating my son's monthly milestones by baking a special cake, every month.I spend countless hours every month researching for the perfect recipe to make a special cake for him.(which he can't really eat but you get the drift!)
This month's two shortlisted cakes were a Chocolate spice cake and an Indian fusion Saffron Cardamom Cake.Though I did make the chocolate spice cake for our Diwali party, I couldn't click any pictures.It was very decadently dark ,rich ,chocolatey cake with nutmeg, cloves,star anise and cinnamon.I should definitely remake the recipe soon.
This is the cake which I created to mark the 8th month milestone for my son!I know I sound repetitive (but I know all moms would understand) but he has become so big! Honestly life has become so much more amazing after him!
What is Saffron Cake
The sponge is a basic hot milk cake - my goto cake for the moment! I have infused it with lots of green cardamom and saffron.I have made an eggless version because of the festivals but you can add 2 eggs instead of the yogurt.The cake in itself is also great but it you want to take it up a few thousand levels please do the white chocolate ganache.
The ganache is my own recipe and it's the easiest thing you could do to this cake.It literally takes a minute of your time and it's ready.You need only condensed milk, white chocolate and flavouring.
Why we love this Saffron Cake
This cake is sort of like a love child of Rabri and Rasmalai.:D It celebrates Indian desserts with a new modern twist.A perfect Indian fusion Saffron Cardamom Cake.
This Saffron Cake is perfect for both cake and Kheer lovers.I have a few more celebrated Fusion indian cake recipes on my blog.
Here are some more awesome cake recipes for you
- 1 ½ cup purpose Flour /Maida
- 1½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs or ¼ cup Yogurt
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- ½ teaspoon Almond Essence
- 1 teaspoon Saffron strands
- 2 Pods Green Cardamom
White Chocolate Glaze
- 200 grams or ½ Tin Condensed Milk/Evaporated Milk/Mithai Mate
- 100 grams of white Chocolate
- 2-3 pods of cardomom
- few strands of Saffron
- 2 Drops of yellow color
- 5 tablespoon crushed Rose Chikki
- Few Strands of Saffron
- Mix the Flour,baking soda and powder and set aside
- Heat the milk and butter till the temperature is just above what you would be comfortable touching.
- Let the butter melt.Add the Saffron strands,Cardamom & vanilla.
- In a Bowl beat or whisk together the eggs/Yogurt and sugar till the mixture turns pale and sugar is well incorporated.
- Add the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture slowly(trickle it in).Make sure the milk is not too hot or boiling as it would curdle the eggs.Mix well.
- Add in the flour mixture next and combine well.
- Pour the batter in a prepared tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees or till the skewer comes out clean.If the cake seems to be browning too much but is uncooked from inside cover it with aluminium foil and continue baking for another 5-10 minutes.
White Chocolate Ganache
- Heat the condensed milk in a sauce pan along with cardamom and saffron on medium low heat.Keep stirring or the condensed milk will start burning.
- Once you see bubbles forming switch the gas off and add chopped white chocolate.
- Add 1-2 drops of yellow color to give it a glow.(Can be skipped).
- Stir the hot mixture till the chocolate is fully incorporated.Let it cool and come to room temperature before pouring on the cake.
- Garnish the cake with crushed chikki and saffron strands.