Classic Strawberry Buttercream Cake – Eggless vanilla sponge with buttercream frosting and seasonal fruits.
Okay..I get it..enough of “healthy” cakes..you are now looking for THE REAL DEAL- all butter, flour and sugar and I got your back!!
Disclaimer: This has no substitutions and is the REAL DEAL CAKE
This is a classic buttercream cake which will work for every and any occasion!! If you are looking for healthier versions of cake then try Moist Quinoa Chocolate Cake ,Eggless and Gluten Free Healthy Ragi Banana Cake
This Classic Strawberry Buttercream Cake such a dreamy cake with a soft sponge and a whipped up- pillowy cloudy buttercream frosting on top.Making a “proper” cake complete with the frosting and the filling is no small deal.That said, it’s not very difficult too -IF you know the tricks.
If this is your first ever cake- then read my post on Baking for Beginners-Bake your first Cake post first.
Do follow me for everyday dessert inspiration on my Decadence Pintrest Board.
How to decorate the Cake
First this Classic Strawberry Buttercream Cake has a rustic look- so don’t worry about decoration as much.Just get lots of fresh fruits like strawberries, kiwi and blueberries.If you cant find these fruits then simply sprinkle some grated chocolate and slivered almonds.Either way this cake will be a winner- I promise!!
In a pinch a few Ferrero Roche or just a few cherries will also look great on the cake.
Some Quick Tips on Icing the Cake
- Always crumb coat the cake with a little bit of buttercream and stick it in freezer for 15 minutes or fridge for 1 hour.This will help the crumbs get locked.Do a thicker coating after the crumb coat has solidified.
- Always stick the cake on the base with a spoon of the frosting.This will make the cake stable so it doesn’t slide down the counter after you frost it.
- Use the most even side on the top.Most probably that would be the base of the cake.
- If you don’t have two cake pans of the same size- Bake the cake in a large cake pan, cool it, refrigerate it overnight and cut it next day.Freshly baked cake will not cut evenly and will break easily.
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour maida
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Oil
- 1.5 Cups Plain Yogurt Dahi or Curd
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1.5 Cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 10 Strawberries
- 4 Gooseberries
- Rosemary Sprigs
The Vanilla Cake
- Preheat the Oven to 180 degrees.Grease two 7 inch cake pans and line with butter paper or brush generously with soft butter or oil
- In a large bowl, mix toghether- All purpose Flour,Baking Powder & Baking Soda.
- Add the Vinegar to the milk and let it sit for 5 minutes till the milk curdles.
- Whisk together the Sugar oil and yogurt.Add the Vanilla extract.Add the milk mixed with the vinegar
- Pour this liquid mixture on the flour mix and whisk it together to make a smooth batter.
- Pour the mixture equally in the two pans and bake* for 30 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes on a cooking rack and once they come to room temperature cover and put them in the fridge.
- Whip the butter for 3-5 minutes on high speed till its very soft.
- Sift* and add the icing sugar.Mix it together with hand or the sugar will fly everywhere.
- Beat the sugar and butter toghether for 5-6 minutes on high till the icing is soft and pillowy.
Assembling the Cake
- Let the cake cool completely before doing this.Ideally refrigerate the cake overnight before cutting or icing.
- Add a tsp of icing on the plate you want to serve the cake on.Place one cake slice on it.This is done so that the cake doesn't move around while icing or cutting.
- Spread 3-4 tbsp of icing on the cake. Sandwich the second slice on top.Make sure the flatter surface is on top.
- Crumb Coat the cake - Coat the cake with a thin layer of buttercream, filling all the holes and imperfections. Rest the cake in the freezer for 15 minutes or refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Add the next thick coat of buttercream.Top it with fresh fruit like strawberry, blueberry and figs.Garnish with rosemary sprigs.
If you Love the Recipe, Please leave us a comment ! I would love to here from you!
Here are some AMAAhaaaazing cakes that I am sure you will love!