I asked my husband to hide this Lemon Cranberry Pound Cake away from me!
Usually I give away a lot of cake to neighbours ,friends and people working in and around the apartment.I did pack this one too in a nice box to give it away but I think subconsciously I didn’t want to part with it!
The lemon and cranberry lends sour notes to this buttery pound cake.The texture is rich and crumbly at the same time.
From experience this cake gets better with days.I made it on a Friday and on Monday(day 4) this cake was even better than when I first took it out of the oven.
I have adapted the recipe of Vanilla Pound Cake Recipe from https://www.marthastewart.com which doesn’t contain any leaveners so no baking powder, soda or yeast.The cake gets it’s lift from whisking the butter and eggs.That being said ,it’s not a light cake like a sponge cake but its a moist butter cake which can keep at room temperature for days.
As with most baking, make sure your ingredients are fresh and at room temperature more than ever for this recipe as it doesn’t have any chemicals or additives to make give it texture and lift.I have used Sugana Eggs and Amul unsalted butter when I made this cake.
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups All purpose flour/Maida
- 4 large Eggs or 5 small ones at Room Temperature and Fresh
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature. Using a hand whisk or a stand mixer whisk the butter until pale and creamy.This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Sugar and beat it for another 3-4 minutes till the butter sugar mixture is very pale.
- Break your eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time.Beat the mixture well for 3-4 minutes between each egg addition.
- Add the salt, vanilla essence and lemon juice.
- Mix the salt in the flour.Fold in the flour mix little at a time in the egg butter batter.
- Add the cranberries and pour the mixture in a prepared cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes at 180 degrees in the preheated oven.
- Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes before unmoulding it.
- Optional-Dust with confectioner sugar once the cake has completely cooled.
If you are looking for a cake for layering I suggest the below recipes.
New to baking?Want to know what to buy and how to start baking?Check out my special post for novice baker –How to start Baking