Kerala Vegetable Stew Recipe - Vegan Ishtu ,perfect for appams and idiappams, made with Coconut Milk.Vegan,Gluten Free,Keto freindly,Paleo recipe.
This version of Kerala Vegetable Stew Recipe is light, packed with flavour and ready in less than 30 minutes.No Grinding, no bhunoying and no waiting!
There are more traditional versions of this stew with poppy seeds and cashews.They are thicker and more time consuming.This version is simpler and has purer flavours.
It's almost heaven to eat this with freshly made appams or even iddiyapams. It's also great with dosas and idlis. Actually anything that you can mop this up with.In emergency, bread,rice, Freezer parathas will also do!
So let's get to it.
Step by Step Kerala Vegetable Stew Recipe
Step 1- Add all the vegetables & aromatics- ginger, cinnamon and cardamom to a pot.Add water and boil.
Step 2- Add coconut Milk and curry leaves.
Step 3- EAT!
Yes it's that simple!
How to make Kerala Vegetable Stew in Instant Pot
Step 1- Add one Cup of water to the inner pot of instant pot.
Step 2:Add all the vegetables & aromatics- ginger, cinnamon and cardamom to the steamer basket.
Step 3:Select PRESSURE COOK on HIGH setting.Close the lid,Seal the pressure valve and Set the timer for 1 minutes.
Step 4: Quick Release the Pressure Cooker.Remove the basket and vegetables.
Step 5:Dump the steamed vegetables in the inner pot.Change the setting to SAUTE.
How to serve Kerala Vegetable Stew
This Kerala Vegetable Stew Recipe is great with dosas, iddiyapams and appams.I could eat endless iddiappams and appams with this!
Though in a pinch I can mop it up with anything from bread to rotis.
Here are some more Kerala Recipes
Nadan Kozhi Curry- Kerala Chicken Curry
Malabar Chicken Peralan | Kerala Chicken Roast
Egg Roast Masala
Kerala Shrimp Coconut Curry
Restaurant Style Ghee Rice Recipe -Kerala Neychoru
Instant Pot Red Rice
Find us on Instagram , Pinterest & Facebook here!
If you liked my recipe, do leave a comment!
It will help others find this amazing recipe too!
- ¼ Cup Carrot
- ¼ Cup Beans
- ¼ Cup Peas
- ¼ Cup onion
- ¼ Cup Potato cut into very small pieces
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 tablespoon Grated Ginger Use more for extra flavour
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Green Caramom
- 100 ml Coconut Milk more if needed
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
Stove top Method
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Add the ginger,onion,carrot,peas and beans.Boil for 15 minutes.
- Drain the water.Add the coconut milk and curry leaves.Heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Switch off just before it comes to a boil.
- Serve hot with appams or iddiappams
Instant Pot Method
- Place the vegetables-ginger,onion,carrot,peas and beans in a steamer basket.Add 1 cup water to the inner pot.Place the basket on top of that.
- Close the lid and select PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL setting on HIGH PRESSURE for 1 minute.Quick Release and remove the vegetables from the pot.
- Change the Setting to SAUTE.Add the vegetables to the pot along with curry leaves and coconut milk.
- Bring to simmer and switch off.
Here are some more of our house favourite Kerala recipes
Leave a Reply