Pesarattu – Green Moong Dal dosa made with made with only lentils, green chillies and Garlic.This is a great Vegan, Gluten Free, high protein & low carb breakfast dish.
I ate pesarattu almost everyday during my pregnancy to keep my sugar levels in check.They are great for people with diabetes!
Variations of Pesarattu
In the northern part of india, a version of pesarattu is made with yellow moong dal. The crepes are called chillas which are usually stuffed with grated paneer and served with sweet and sour tamarind chutney.
Down south, Moong Dal Chila are called Pesarattu.These crepes or dosas are made with green Moong dal (with the husk).It’s served with a filling of potato and a side of chutney such as peanut chutney or coconut chutney.
Though the healthiest way to make lentil crepes is with sprouted Moong Sabut i.e. Sprouted whole Green Moong Dal.This is the most nutritious and the best way to make this dosa.
Pesarattu recipe is often suggested for people with diabetes and folks on diets.It’s a great replacement to normal carb heavy dosas.
How to make Pesarattu – Green Moong Dal dosa
Step 1- Soak the Dal for 2-8 hours.I often do this overnight.
Step 2-Grind the dal along with the green chilli, garlic, salt & asafetida. Pesarettu batter doesn’t need to be fermented.
Step 3- Heat the tawa, spread the batter like dosa on it.Add a few drops of oil/ghee.Flip and cook the other side and serve hot!
Shortcuts and Tips
- When in hurry, make the Moong Dal Chila with the yellow moong dal because this needs the minimum amount of soaking.
- If you are using a cast iron tawa, add little bit of oil on the tawa, spread it with halved onion.This simple trick makes the tawa nonstick!
- 1 Cup Moong Dal split
- 1 tsp Hing
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Soak the Moon Dal for 2-8 hours.
- Discard the water.Add the soaked moong dal along with hing, green chilli, garlic and salt.Grind it into a thick batter with 1/4 Cup of water.
- Spread on a hot tawa.Add a few drops of oil.Flip and cook the other side.
- Serve with chutneys or podis.