Instant Pot Keema– Mince Lamb or Goat cooked with onions, tomatoes and spices in the pressure cooker.
Pressure cooking mince meat is just pure genius.I didn’t think so till I got this amazing tip from a friend.I had the best keema at her place in Hyderabad a few years back.Her mom always presssure cooked it
Thats the reason the mince is all soft and almost succulent!
If you, like me, are after a softer texture of mutton keema,then this is the way to go about cooking it.
You don’t have to cook it in an instant pot, you can make it in a traditional pressure cooker too.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Mutton Keema
Mutton Keema– Mince Goat or Lamb. Goat is the traditional meat used but feel free to use lamb, chicken or turkey too.
Yogurt– My secret to the saucy mutton keema
Spices-Mild chilli or Kashmiri Chilli powder or Paprika ,Garam Masala.
Onion & Tomatoes– Chopped
Ginger & Garlic– Minced; Feel free to use store-bought paste.
How to make Mutton keema in Instant Pot
In short, you make the masala or the sauce for the keema curry and then pressure cook everything together.I describe the process in more detail down.You can also watch the video for the additional help.
Step 1:Make the sauce or Base
Select the saute mode on the instant pot.Once the inner pot is hot, add oil.Let the oil warm through.Add ginger, garlic and onions in that order.Saute the onions till it turns slightly golden brown.
Once the onions is brown, add finely chopped tomatoes.I use a food processor to chop the tomatoes.Add the spices and salt too and mix.Let this mixture cook till it resembles a paste and darkens.
To this add the yogurt.I use greek yogurt, you can use regular unsweetened yogurt too.
Step 2: Pressure Cook
To the sauce, add minced meat along with water.Give it a good stir.Break the clumps of meat and make sure the sauce is well mixed with the mince.
Cancel the saute mode.Close the lid and pressure cook for 20 minutes on HIGH.Once the time is up, wait for 5 minutes before quick releasing the pressure.
Give it a stir, taste, add more salt if needed.Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Tips & Tricks for a Quick Mutton Keema
- Use a food processor to chop the onions and tomatoes.It’s saves so much time and effort!
- Use thick yogurt or greek yogurt.You can strain regular yogurt if you want.
- change the flavour profile by tempering the mutton curry with mustard and curry leaves.
Other Indian Instant Pot Dishes
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #instantpotdishes on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
You can also join our community of instant potters to discover share and connect with likeminded people.
- Heat the instant pot in saute mode.Once hot, Add oil.
- To the hot oil, add ginger and garlic.
- Add chopped onions and saute till they turn golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and spices- salt, garam masala and paprika.
- cook for about 4-5 minutes, till the sauce thickens.
- Whisk the yogurt and add.Mix well till the white streaks disappear.
- Add the minced meat and water.
- cancel saute.Close the lid and select PRESSURE COOK for 15 minutes on HIGH pressure.
- After the cooking time is over, wait for 5 minutes before releasing the pressure.
- Open and garnish with cilantro.