Instant Pot Lamb Rogan Josh- A rich lamb curry from the northern part of india made with yogurt and spices.
Rogan Josh is a Kashmiri dish, usually made with meat.This is a widely popular lamb curry thats usually served with naans or rice.
It sounds fancy and something you would only eat at a resturant but it's not.I promise!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Lamb Rogan Josh
It's a super easy if spice heavy curry made with very little effort.I will give you a lot of swaps so don't worry about sourcing all the ingredients.
Lamb or Mutton- Shoulder pieces on the bone, cut into 1-1.5 inch cubes.If using boneless lamb, reduce the time to..If using large lamb pieces,add another 10 minutes to the cooking time.
Yogurt- Thick yogurt is preferred. Switch to Coconut Yogurt for a non dairy version
Ghee- Clarified butter.You can use mustard oil or any other oil of choice if not ghee.
Kashmiri Chilli - The curry calls for a sizeable amount of kashmiri chilli powder.This ingredient distinguishes the curry from others and gives it a spectacular red color.If you can't find kashmiri chilli, use any regional mild ground chilli which gives more colour than heat.Examples- Bydagi chilli or Paprika.
Whole Spices- The most important are Whole cinnamon Sticks,Whole Cardamom and Bay leaf.If you can't find mace, you can omit it.Do not use powdered spices instead of this, they will add way too much flavour and it will overpower the curry.
Other Spices- Fennel Seeds or Saunf, Ground Ginger powder and Saffron.Use fresh ginger if you cant get dried ginger.
If you can't get fennel seeds and saffron, you can omit it.
CornStarch or any other thickening flour like chickpea flour(besan) or All purpose Flour- This is completely optional.You can omit this if you do not want a thick curry.
Swaps and Alternatives for Lamb Rogan Josh
Lamb or Mutton- I use lamb shoulder, you can use mutton too.
You can swap the lamb with Chicken and reduce the cooking time to 12 minutes.
Young Jackfruit is a good vegetarian option.You can also use mushrooms instead.The cooking time will reduce to just 2 minutes when cooking with vegetables.
Spices- As explained above,Kashmiri Chilli or a chilli that gives colour instead of heat is what we need the most for this curry. Thats absolutely essential.
The other spices add a lot of flavour but when i do not have some on hand, i just omit it and try staying as close to the recipe as possible.
How to make Lamb Rogan Josh in Instant Pot
Step 1 : SAUTE
Heat the instant pot in the SAUTE mode and once it's hot, add ghee.
To the hot oil, add whole spices and the onions.Fry till the onion is cooked- slightly brown.
Step 2: BLEND
Meanwhile, blend together the ground Chilli, fennel and dry ginger together.You can also use a mortar pestle for this.
Add ½ cup of water and blend again.
Whisk the yogurt well so that its super smooth.This will make the texture of the curry silky.If you do not whisk the yogurt, the final curry will have specks of white yogurt which is not what we want.
Step 3:Pressure Cook
Add the lamb, chilli, fennel and dry ginger mix with water and the yogurt to the pot.
Season with salt.Give it a mix and close the pot.
Select PRESSURE COOK,Set the time for 35 minutes on high pressure with the pressure valve closed.
The pressure cooking time will change based on the kind of meat you use.If the chunks are big, they will take longer to cook.
It will also depend on the kind of texture you want.I prefer melty meat but if you like it firm, reduce the time to 30 minutes instead.
Let the pressure release naturally before opening the pot.
More Indian Instant Pot Dishes
- 3 tablespoon Ghee
- ½ Cup Onion Chopped(about 100 gms)
- 1 Pound Lamb or Mutton shoulder- 1-1.5 inch on the bone.
- Heat the instant pot in SAUTE mode.Once the pot it hot, add ghee.
- To the hot ghee, add onions and whole spices- Cinnamon,Cardamom,Bay Leaf and Cloves.Saute till they turn a little golden brown.Cancel Saute.
- Meanwhile, blend together the ground Chilli,Fennel and Dry Ginger.Once it's powdered,Add ½ cup of water and mix it up.
- To the cooked onions, add mutton, the chilli, fennel and dry ginger along with water.
- Whisk the yogurt very well and add along with saffron strands.
- Pressure cook for 35 minutes on HIGH pressure with the pressure valve in SEALING position.
- Once the cooking time is up,let the pressure release on its own.Open the pot and give it a mix.
- If you want to thicken the gravy, saute it for 3-4 minutes.
- if you prefer a really luscious thick gravy, mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 3 tablespoon of water.Add it to the instant pot and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with Cilantro and serve hot.