Instant Pot Moroccan Chickpea Stew- Easy plant based dinner recipe made with Chickpeas,Sweet Potato,Fire Roasted Tomatoes and Moroccan Flavours - Cinnamon,Cumin & Paprika.
Easy Weeknight dinner recipe that can be thrown together within minutes.This Stew is one of those recipes that can be served as it is as a low calorie option or on top of steamed rice.
It's in fact a family favourite.When I make this, I don't need to make multiple things for dinner and that's what i love most about it!
Oh also! It's a Great Freezer Meal.You can meal prep and freeze in advance,Dump the frozen stuff inside the instant pot,Set it for 20 minutes and walk away!
Did i already say it's perfect?? Cause it's Just too darn PERFECT!!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Cooked Chickpeas- Canned or made at home
- Fresh Tomatoes or Canned Fire Roasted tomatoes
- Sweet Potato
- Spices- Cumin,Cinnamon &Paprika
- Brown Sugar or Black Current or dried Apricot
How to make Instant Pot Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Step 1: Prep your ingredients.If using dried chickpeas, Boil them in advance.Peel & dice the Sweet Potatoes.
Smoke the Tomatoes- Using tongs or a skewer, smoke the tomatoes directly over the stove fire.Let them cool slightly before roughly pureeing them in the blender.You can also buy canned fire roasted tomatoes.
Another option is to use normal canned tomatoes.
Step 2: Dump everything - sweet potatoes, chickpeas, tomatoes, spices, salt and dried Apricot in the instant pot.Close the lid.Set the PRESSURE to 12 minutes on HIGH pressure.Open after the pressure has released naturally.
Step 3:Open.Taste, adjust salt and sugar.Garnish with Cilantro and serve hot!
Tips on Instant Pot Chickpea Stew
Tomatoes - Smoking the tomatoes on the fire directly adds a beautiful smokiness to the dish.That said, if you don't have access to fire, you can grill them on highest temperature in the oven or used canned fire roasted tomatoes.
If you can't get your hands on either of the above, use normal canned tomatoes or fresh tomatoes blended.
Chickpeas - Use canned chickpeas or cook them on your own with dried beans.Boil the dried chickpeas with 3 times the water for 35 minutes in the instant pot on HIGH pressure.
Spices - You can also use Ras al hanout if you have it with you.
Dump it Freezer Instant Pot Meal
So here is why this recipe is AMAZING!
Prep everything, dump it in a freezer bag.When you want to make the curry,Fish it out, dump everything(sans the freezer bag) in the instant pot and let the magic happen.
Settings for INSTANT POT- 20 Minutes HIGH PRESSURE on Natural Release.
Extra 8 minutes to allow the defrost.
How to serve Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Serve this with some toasted pita bread or over a bed of rice with a simple cucumber salad.
You can also eat this as it is.
More Instant Pot Dinner Recipes
- 4 Cups Cooked Chickpeas or 2 14-Ounces canned Chickpeas
- 8 large Rips Tomatoes or 2 14-ounce cans fire roasted Tomatoes
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Sweet Potato - Peeled & diced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper or Paprika
- Salt to taste
- Wash and drain the chickpeas.
- If using fresh tomatoes, Char them directly on the stove top.Once cool, puree them coarsely.Skip this step if using canned tomatoes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes(roughly 3 cups) plus 1 Cup water to the instant pot.
- Add everything else - Chickpeas, Sweet potatoes,Garlic, spices- cinnamon, Cayenne, Cumin & Salt.
- Close the lid and select PRESSURE COOK for 12 minutes on HIGH.Let the pressure release naturally.
- Garnish with lime juice and cilantro.Serve hot