Easy Instant Pot Adobo Chicken – Famous Filipino Chicken Recipe that can be made in Instant Pot or on Stove top.
Juicy chicken Drumsticks in a sweet and spicy glossy sticky sauce made with soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar.A gluten free chicken recipe that’s great as an appetiser or a main!
The ingredients of this chicken are so simple that you will find almost everything in your pantry. It’s a kick ass chicken recipe that’s really going to impress the socks off you and your family!
Dietary details of Adobo Chicken
This chicken dish has a great potential to be healthy! It’s –
- Gluten Free- when gluten free soy sauce or Tamari is used.
- Dairy Free
- Paleo and Whole 30 complaint when soy sauce is swapped with coconut aminos and brown sugar with date syrup.You can also leave out the sugar component all together.
How to make Adobo Chicken in Instant Pot
Adobo chicken is so simple that it can be made in any kitchen situation! You could make it on the stove or in instant pot.
Here are the 3 major steps
- Sauté the Onions
- Cook the chicken in the adobo sauce – soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar
- Reduce the sauce to sticky consistency and pour over cooked chicken.
How to make the Easy Filipino Adobo Chicken in Instant Pot
It is so easy to make Adobo chicken in the instant pot! You can even use frozen Chicken!
Step 1- Select Saute mode on the instant pot.Press the button one more time so the mods is SAUTE- HIGH.Once the instant pot is hot, add the onions. Saute and slightly cook the onions for 2-3 minutes.Cancel Saute.
Step 2- Add rest of the ingredients- brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar,bay leaf, ginger, garlic, pepper and 1/4 Cup of water.The total liquid in this chicken will be 3/4 cup which is enough to bring the instant pot to pressure.Select Pressure Cook for 8 minutes.If using frozen Chicken drumsticks, increase the time to 15 minutes.
Step 3- Once the time is up,Quick Release.Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.
Step 4(Optional)- If you want to reduce the sauce, Remove the Chicken.Select SAUTE on HIGH and reduce the sauce to the consistency you like.Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with chillies and green onions.
Here are some more Instant Pot Chicken Recipes for you
- Instant Pot Tandoori Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #instantpotdishes on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
You can also join our community of instant potters to discover share and connect with likeminded people.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onions – Sliced
- 5 Chicken Drumsticks
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar/Palm Sugar or Jaggery For Paleo- date syrup or coconut Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce Tamari for gluten free & Coconut Aminos for paleo
- 1/4 Cup Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Red Chilli
- Green Onions for garnish
Stove Top Method
- Mix together the Sugar, Soy sauce, Vinegar, Ginger, Garlic and pepper.Check and add salt if needed
- Pour the marinade over the chicken.Marinate for 1 -3 hours.
- Heat a pan, add oil and place the chicken(without the marinade) one by one.Reserve marinade.
- Brown from all sides.Remove chicken once caramelised from all sides.
- To the pan add onions and sauce till they start turning golden brown.
- Add red chillies and the marinade.Place the chicken back and cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce.
- Reduce the sauce for another 10-15 minutes making it thick.Toss the chicken in the sticky sauce.
- Garnish with green onions and serve hot.
Instant Pot Method
- Choose the Sauté setting on HIGH(press it till the red light is under high), once it's hot, add the oil and onions. Saute them for 2-3 minutes.
- Cancel the Saute. Add the bay leaf,Soy sauce, pepper, vinegar, ginger, garlic and 1/4 cup of water.Mix it up and place the chicken on top.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top.Do not mix.
- Pressure cook on SEALING for 8 minutes.(increase the time to 10 minutes for very big drumsticks).Quick Release and open the instant pot.
- You can garnish the chicken and serve as it is or if you want to thicken the sauce, follow the next step.
- Remove the chicken and switch to Saute on HIGH and reduce the sauce for 10-12 minutes till its thick.
- Pour the reduced sauce over the chicken, garnish with green onions and red chilli, serve hot.