Easy Filipino Adobo Chicken – Chicken in a sweet and spicy glossy sticky sauce made with soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar.A gluten free chicken recipe that’s great as an appetiser or a main!
The ingredients of this chicken are so simple that you will find almost everything in your pantry. It’s a kick ass chicken recipe that’s really going to impress the socks off you and your family!
Dietary details of Adobo Chicken
This chicken dish has a great potential to be healthy! It’s –
- Gluten Free- when gluten free soy sauce or Tamari is used.
- Dairy Free
- Paleo and Whole 30 complaint when soy sauce is swapped with coconut aminos and brown sugar with date syrup.You can also leave out the sugar component all together.
How to make Adobo Chicken
Adobo chicken is so simple that it can be made in any kitchen situation! You could make it on the stove or in instant pot.
Here are the 3 major steps
- Sauté the chicken and onions
- Cook the chicken in the adobo sauce – soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar
- Reduce the sauce to sticky consistency and pour over cooked chicken.
How to make the Easy Filipino Adobo Chicken in Instant Pot
Adobo chicken can also be made in instant pot.The method is slightly different but only cause I am assuming we all want a shortcut to this classic recipe.
Step 1- Brown the onions and chicken with little oil.
Step 2- Add rest of the ingredients- brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar,bay leaf,ginger,garlic and pepper and Pressure cook for 10 minutes.
Step 3- Remove chicken, reduce the sauce for 15 minutes to make it thick.
Step 4- Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with chillies and green onions.
Stove Top Method
- Mix together the Sugar, Soy sauce, Vinegar, Ginger, Garlic and pepper.Check and add salt if needed
- Pour the marinade over the chicken.Marinate for 1 -3 hours.
- Heat a pan, add oil and place the chicken(without the marinade) one by one.Reserve marinade.
- Brown from all sides.Remove chicken once caramelised from all sides.
- To the pan add onions and sauce till they start turning golden brown.
- Add red chillies and the marinade.Place the chicken back and cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce.
- Reduce the sauce for another 10-15 minutes making it thick.Toss the chicken in the sticky sauce.
- Garnish with green onions and serve hot.
Instant Pot Method
- Choose the Sauté setting, once its hot, add the oil and onions.Caramelise them for 10 minutes.
- Add the Chicken pieces and brown for another 10 minutes.
- Cancel the Saute.Add the bay leaf,Soy sauce, pepper,brown sugar, vinegar,ginger and garlic.
- Pressure cook on SEALING for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and reduce the sauce for 15 minutes.
- Pour the reduced sauce over the chicken, garnish with green onions and red chilli