Achari Murgh Curry is a delicious , rustic north Indian Chicken Curry. It’s a perfect example of simple North Indian regional cooking !It’s made with Chicken on the bone, Indian pickling spices, lime or Mango Achaar or pickle,Mustard Oil and yogurt which give it a quintessential “Achari” taste.
This is especially a great recipe when you are on a weight loss diet or even if you aren’t on one.This chicken curry in your repertoire can really take you a long way! Especially because it’s Fuss free, uses minimum ingredients and packs in a punch(and then some!)
You could eat these with Chapattis or Moong Dal Chilla ,if you are controlling your carb intake.I frankly love this with some homemade dal chawal too! You can read all about how I make dal at home here.
Also! This curry can be made with boneless chicken too.I even do my Indian meal prep using this recipe- Just cook 4 chicken breasts in the same spices and yogurt and divide between 4 boxes with some brown rice, quinoa or Millets and your meal prep is done!
But if you are looking for a RICH Chicken curry which will wow all your family members then you should make this with chicken on the bone and with skin.This ensures maximum flavour and depth.
This recipe is adapted from the cookbook published by Roli Books.I got this book as a gift for Christmas from my secret Santa.I swear its the best secret Santa gift I have recived in my life(Thankyou Ruchi,if you are reading this!) This book has over 500 recipes from all over india and is a true gem!It’s always on my coffee table now.
Achari Masala / Pickling Spices
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Methi Seeds /Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp Rai/Mustard
- 1 tsp Saunf/Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Kalongee/ Nigella Seeds
- 1 tsp Salt
- Blend the ingredients listed under the Achari Masala- Red Chillies,Methi Seeds,Mustard,Fennel Seeds,Nigella Seeds and Salt.
- Mix the blended dry Masala, Yogurt, Turmeric and Salt.Marinade the chicken for at least 15 minutes and for best results for 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat Oil in a Deep Pot on high heat.When the oil starts smoking, reduce the flame to low.Add onions,Green Chilli, Ginger & Garlic.
- Sauté till the onions turn golden brown.Add the coriander powder and mix well. To this Add the chicken along with the marinade.
- Bhuno or saute this for about a minute.Add Chopped up Pickle and 1 cup water.Check the salt, add more if needed.
- Cook covered for 30 minutes on medium-low flame. If you want a thicker gravy, just cook the chicken uncovered for a few more minutes till you get the desired consistency.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve hot.
If you Love the Recipe, Please leave us a comment ! I would love to here from you!
Pin Achari Murgh Curry Recipe
Here are some more instant Pot recipes
Easy Sarson Ka Saag for Beginners-Instant Pot recipe