Homemade Hummus made with chickpeas, lemon juice and tahini.But more EPIC! Topped with Roasted Olives, Garlic and Herbs!
It's a pure dip heaven!
You would have had a lot of hummus..But this Hummus with Olives is the granddaddy of them all!
The flavour is just next level!
In this recipe take regular hummus to the next level!
You can also dress up storebought hummus this way.Though in my experience, do it with a known brand.To avoid any surprises.
If you are throwing a big party, I would pair this with some more dips like my yogurt dip or a simple cheese dip.I usually make a giant spread with crisps like chips, pita bread, pita bread chips, veggies like cucumber, celery and carrots.
Hummus in itself needs only 5 ingredients
- Boiled Chickpeas
- Lemon Juice
Thats all really.
Chickpeas- You can boil chickpeas at home or buy canned version.
Boiling Chickpeas at home- Soak Overnight, Pressure cook in the instant pot for 35 minutes with 3 times the water.Check my Channa Masala Post for more details on boiling chickpeas.
If you dont have a pressure cooker, buy canned chickpeas.
The trick to smooth hummus is overcooked hot boiled chickpeas.I usually microwave the boiled chickpeas for just 3 minutes before working with them.
Tahini- I use homemade tahini.It can be more intense so i use very little of it.If using storebougt you can increase the quantity by ¼ tsp.
Lemon Juice - Not lime...the yellow big lemons.They transfor hummus! Really!
How to make Creamy Hummus
Making hummus is easy enough on paper but a lot of things can go weird.The texture of the hummus has to be creamy and not thick.It's light and airy.Almost like buttercream.
I have made this mistake often when i started making hummus.
With that cleared up..Let me explain how to make creamy hummus
Step 1: Heat up the Chickpeas.This helps in making the hummus silky smooth.
Strain the chickpeas.
Step 3: In a food processor/ blender, whatever you are using, add the chickpeas , salt, lemon juice and tahini.
Top this with about 1 cup of ice cubes.
Step 4: Blend , Blend , Blend.Take your time here.Atleast 10-12 minutes.
Some food processors are not strong enough to make a creamy paste.In that case, do your best! Try blending for a few more minutes.
Add water if the hummus is too thick.
And now for the best part!The Olives!
Hummus with Roasted Olives
This step adds so much flavour! This Olive Hummus is so Additive!
Here are the Ingredients needed
- Olives- Mixed- I have kalamata and black and green olives.
- Lemon Wedges
- Garlic- not peeled
- Herbs- Thyme goes the best
- Olive Oil
- Chilli Flakes
Add all this to a oven proof pan.Roast for about 20-25 minutes till the lemon seems to have softened.
Add the hummus to a shallow bowl or a plate.
Using a spoon, give it a swirl to create dips and valleys.
Drizzle the oil from the roasted olives pan over the hummus.Dont dump the olives in but gently place them with a spoon.
Add fresh herbs on top.Sprinkle more chilli flakes if you like your hummus spicy.
To make your hummus super smooth here are some tips
- Overcook the chickpeas.If you are using canned chickpeas, throw them in the boiling water for 5-10 minutes.This will make the hummus super smooth.
- Use ice cubes while blending the hummus.This way your hummus wont heat up while blending.
- Whatever machine you are using- a blender or a food processer, make sure to blend for atleast 10 minutes.A smooth hummus is blended for atleast 10-15 minutes till its smooth like whipped cream.Add more water if needed.
How to Serve Olive Hummus
Ah my favourite part.This is where you can unleash your creativity.
If it's just for 4-5 people, serve this hummus with some pita bread,crisps and chips.
If it's for more people and you want to go mediterranean, serve this along with Baba Ganoosh, Yogurt dip , Carrots, cucumbers and celery.
I would add toum which is garlic mayonnaise to this too.And Pita! Toasted soft pita and crispy pita chips too.Here is an easy recipe to make homemade pita chips.
Leftovers & Storage
Hummus will last in the fridge for about a week.Especially if kept in an air tight jar.
You can also freeze hummus easily.Here are the steps
- Add it to ice cube tray,Freeze.
- Once it's frozen, remove from the freezer tray and store it in a zip lock bag.
- Thaw it overnight or on the countertop.Serve at room temperature.
Here are some more Dips and Appetisers for you
Please let me know how your Hummus with Roasted Olives turns out in the comments! I love hearing from you.
- 2 Cups Boiled Chickpeas Canned or Boiled at home
- 1 tablespoon Tahini
- 3-4 tablespoon Lemon Juice About ½ a Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Salt Adjust as per taste
- 1 Cup Ice Cubes
- 1 Cup Mixed Olives Kalamata, Black and green
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- ½ Lemon Wedge Quartered
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 2-3 Sprigs Thyme or 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- First, heat the chickpeas in a microwave or a pot till its hot and heated through.
- Add the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice,salt and 1 cup ice cubes to the food processor or blender.
- Blend till it's smooth.This will take 10-12 minutes*.The Hummus should be smooth and of the same consistency as buttercream.
- Add more water if needed.
- While your chickpeas are heating through, add the olives,lemon wedge, olive oil, chilli flakes, garlic and herbs to a baking dish.
- Roast at 180 C or 365 F for 20-25 minutes till the lemon has released it's juices.
- Scoop the hummus on to the serving dish.Something shallow works better.
- Add the roasted olives, garlic and lemon wedges on top.
- Drizzle the left over olive oil and jucies from the roasting pan.
- Serve with crisps and pita bread!