This post is about my favourite mom cookies-Healthy Oatmeal and Raisin Cookies. Once you become a mom, cookies become essential to life…or at-least you now have a reason for baking so many of them.:D..As much work motherhood is ,it’s also a nice smoke screen for gorging on desserts and those extra love handles…As a rule of thumb..you can blame pregnancy for everything.(ah such perks!)
I stumbled upon this Healthy Oatmeal and Raisin Cookies recipe when I was looking for ways to make some healthy cookies for the baby because I am extremely uncomfortable giving him Marie biscuits of the world.I like to know exactly what is going in that little cudly bear’s tummy.Healthy Instant Oats cookies with raisins was just the thing that I saw baby will enjoying.
These are healthier cookies than the store bought preservative leaden cookies with a long list of un unpronounceable ingredients.
I haven’t changed much except swapping honey ,which is easily available here in india, instead of agave.If you are a staunch vegan then you can use agave or maple syrup for the same effect in the cookie.
Variations of these Healthy Oatmeal and Raisin Cookies
I have made a version of these oat cookies with dates for the baby cause they are a power source of fortifying iron and good for digestion. Offcourse you can substitute raisins with chocolate chips, almond flakes,pecans or pistachios.I used soft dates also because my baby doesn’t have teeth yet.(Okay he has 2 teeth.)
Instead of honey or maple syrup, you can use liquid jaggery also.To make liquid jaggery boil 1/4 cup jaggery in 1/4 cup water till it dissolves and strain it before using in the recipe.
Kind of Oats used for these Chewy Oat Cookies
The oats that you use here, need to be the instant or quick oats.I have used Saffola Oats but you can use these or these or these or these too.
Texture wise these cookies are soft and chewy but its that’s not your deal then you can bake these cookies into flat disks instead of domes(As in picture) to get a crisp cookies.They store well in airtight container for upto 4-5 days.
- 1 Cup Instant Oats
- 1/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp <a href="https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06ZZ97TY7/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=3638&creative=24630&creativeASIN=B06ZZ97TY7&linkCode=as2&tag=foodcow-21&linkId=aaee58082bd2d6798e4607f9d6bd7d7a" target="_blank" rel="noopener" data-mce-href="https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06ZZ97TY7/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=3638&creative=24630&creativeASIN=B06ZZ97TY7&linkCode=as2&tag=foodcow-21&linkId=aaee58082bd2d6798e4607f9d6bd7d7a">Baking Powder</a><img style="border: none !important; margin: 0px !important;" src="//ir-in.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=foodcow-21&l=am2&o=31&a=B06ZZ97TY7" alt="" width="1" height="1" border="0" data-mce-src="//ir-in.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=foodcow-21&l=am2&o=31&a=B06ZZ97TY7" data-mce-style="border: none !important; margin: 0px !important;">
- 1/8 or a hearty pinch of Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil or Melted Butter
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Honey/or use 1/2 Liquid Jaggery
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Dates/Raisins
In a large bowl mix together the Oats,whole wheat flour, baking powder,Salt and Cinnamon.Mix together.
Whisk in the egg, oil,vanilla extract and Honey in another bowl.
Add the egg mixture to the large bowl containing the dry ingredients.Mix well together.
Lastly add the chopped Dates.
Refrigerate for 1/2 an hour.
Bake at 180 degrees for 12-14 minutes.Let them cool completely before serving.
Cookies bake very fast and every oven is different, so its better to keep and eye on them and check every two minutes.
To make crisp cookies-make them thin and flat and bake for the same amount of time.