Healthy Ginger Bread Cookies – with Whole Wheat Flour,Un refined Sugar and Molasses.
Also find a quick way to make Molasses at home with Raw Sugar if you cant find it around you or are plain laze to step out(like me!)
This is going to be a quick recipe because it’s 23 December already and i have a tonne to prep for the dinner tomorrow.
Ingredients for Healthy Ginger Bread Cookies
- 3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Ginger Dry Powder
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Butter At room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Palm Sugar/Jaggery/Coconut Sugar or brown sugar or white sugar
- 2 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Molasses* or Honey.Check notes to make it at home
- 4 tbsp Milk
Replacements and Alternatives
Replacement for Molasses
You can replace Molasses with Honey or Liquid jaggery or just make it at home.
Add 1 Cup of Jaggery and 1/4 cup of water in a sauce pan.Heat, bring to boil and let it cool.You can strain it if the Jaggery was not clean.
How to make Healthy Ginger Bread Cookies
Step 1: Get the dry ingredients together.Strain them if you see clumps or any other irregularity.
Step 2:Whisk the butter and sugar to make them fluffy.Add all the wet ingredients.
Step 3: Mix dry and wet ingredients.
Step 4: Wrap & Refrigerate
Step 5:Roll and Cut out the cookies
Step 6: Bake them at 180C/350F
Decorate Healthy Ginger Bread Cookies
You could decorate them with white sugar icing .Mix together 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar,2 tbsp lemon juice.Pipe them over the cookies.
This is my favourite way and also simple and an easy way out! Just Dip them partially in dark chocolate and sprinkle them with your choice of sprinklers.
Other Healthy Cookie Recipes
Here are some more healthy cookies for you!
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Don’t forget to tag #yellowthyme on Instagram if you try my recipe I feel AWESOME when you try one of my recipes and I’d love to see it. You can also share it on my Facebook page. Please pin this recipe to Pinterest too!
- Mix the Whole wheat flour,Baking powder,Ginger Powder, Cinnamon, black pepper together.
- In another bowl, Add Softened butter and your choice of sugar.Whip till soft and fluffy.I used my hand whisker.
- Add the molasses and egg
- Add the whole wheat flour mixture in parts.Keep mixing with a large spoon till all the flour is incorporated.Add Milk 1 tbsp at a time to bring the dough together.
- The mixture will appear dry but will come together.(if its too wet, add more flour)
- Divide into thirds.Wrap in a cling foil and refrigerate for 30minutes to 1 hour.
- Take the dough out.Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out using the cookie cutter of choice.Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.Refrigerate for another 15 minutes or chuck them in freezer for 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180C/350F.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes*, till they are firm but not dark.