This recipe was more of an aberration, a departure from my usual norm on several levels.It’s a mix of french toast and a bread pudding.I usually prefer the Indian version of savory french toast with a generous sprinkling of chat masala.This dish was born out of a necessity to use my over ripe bananas and few days old bread.And I am so happy that I made it!
It’s a simple dish which has layers of flavors and textures.You can replace chocolate chips with chocolate chunks or strawberries or mangos.
You can serve it as a dessert at your dinner party or a great breakfast dish for the family. I ate this as a snack cause I was craving chocolate and sugar.I usually gravitate towards a pack of oreos or a piece(maybe the whole bar) of bournville dark chocolate when my sugar dragon wakes up but this is my new favorite! It refrigerates very well so you can make it one or two days before your brunch party.
- 2 Bread Slices cut into cubes
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 Ripe Banana medium Sized
- 1/2 cup Chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 tbsp Sugar can be skipped if the banana is sweet enough
- Mash the banana.
- Whip the egg and milk into the bananas.Alternatively you can blitz all of this in a food processor.
- (optional step)Ideally the banana and chocolate will sweeten the mixture enough but if you can add more sugar if you prefer.
- Add the sugar and mix well
- Place the cut up piece of bread in ramekins or your choice of baking dish.
- Pour the wet mixture on the bread.
- Chocolate and Banana Bread Pudding
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes.(baking time will increase with quantity)