This is the dreamiest cake I have ever made.Classic Vanilla layered Cake with sea green vanilla buttercream frosting. Definitely not a skinny recipe so skip this post if that’s what you are looking for.I do have some healthy cake/bread recipes on the blog if that’s what you want.But if you want a classic vanilla cake recipe which can be moulded whichever way you want, then read on.It’s the moistest,tastiest vanilla cake I have made or tasted thus far.This recipe is definitely a keeper.
This was practise cake for my baby’s upcoming 4 monthly birthday and also my husband’s first birthday as a father.I want to make the cake for both these special days myself.So I decided to go all out with the fancy works so I know what I can achieve with this recipe.
I used buttercream frosting for this cake.You can also frost the cake with a ganache.I coated the cake sides with coconut shavings and Brookside Dark Chocolate, Blueberry and Acai, 100g.I also grated some chocolate on top to give the cake more texture.
You can make cup cakes and muffins using this recipe too.I made blueberry baked doughnuts with this recipe and I was extremely impressed with the results.
Frankly I thought the buttercream would be heavy but the feedback I got was all positive.It helps if the cake is pretty.:D
- unsalted cooking butter 1 cup i used amul at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all purpose flour maida
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Coconut shavings
- nutties or Chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1-2 tsp milk
- 1-2 drops of color i used this gel color
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cream/whisk together the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time.
- In a bowl mix the flour,salt,baking powder and baking soda together and mix well.
- Add the 1/3 of the dry mixture and mix well.Add 1/2 the buttermilk.Add the 1/3 flour mixture.Add the rest of the buttermilk followed by rest of the flour mixture.
- Combine well but do not over whisk the batter.
- Distribute the batter in two prepared 19 cm baking pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes till the skewer inserted inside comes out clean.
- In a bowl hand mix the icing sugar and the butter.
- Whisk the mixture with hand
How to frost
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Use the buttercream when it is at room temperature.Cold buttercream will not spread well.
- Put two tsp of buttercream under the cake, on the surface you will use to keep under the cake.Be it a cake base or a plate so that the cake doesn't move when you decorate it.
- Coat the cake with a light layer of buttercream first.This is the most important step.Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Now generously coat the cake with second layer of frosting.Stick the coconut shavings and nutties or acai berry coated chocolate.
- Pipe flowers on top using a piping bag and the flower piping nozzle.Grate chocolate over the flowers.
I used two different sized pans.You can experiment with the shapes and sizes.
Buttermilk-I added one cup of curd and half a cup of water to make the buttermilk.
I have used the below products for making of this cake which can be easily bought online in india.